Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Bought Nutrena instead of S&P to save money. Ducks are mad. Haha. Hopefully they get used to it because we have a ton now. Haha

Oh man, good luck! My girls straight up turned theirs noses away from the non-layer feed I tried to switch them to when it becomes apparent their laying start was going to be delayed. I guess if they get hungry enough they will, but my girls just got super treat aggressive. It was scary!

I have to find it but apparently one of the hatcheries sells giant silkies that were bred for the meat and size
Oh cool. I have not heard that before !

Incidently everyone:

The Asians (as far as I can tell it is Laotians, Cambodians & a few Thai) want the black chicken for medicinal purposes.
Yes, they eat it, but swear that the black chicken has mysterious properties...strengthen and vitalize, and no doubt increase fertility which is something the human race really reall needs !

Other than that, Silkies do not move fast, get less exercise & so I bet they are more tender.
But more than likely, they taste like chicken !

lau.gif

I'm in a category all my own. I love animals and just love chickens in general. All my girls get lots of attention from me and probably get tired of all the kisses, but they'll do anything for scratch grains. The crazy part is that I don't even eat eggs. I can't stand the taste (or the texture). I do love the egg colors though, so I'm in the category that wants lots of different egg colors. My clients love the eggs and I barely have enough to supply the demand.
Another ancient BYCer, 'FlyRobinFly', made a few wreaths of eggs.
She has all of us send her our prettiest colored eggs and she made wreaths.
maybe you can do that ?
Robin drilled a hole & blew out the contents, so you can still cook the innards scrambled & serve back to your birds.
I think you fall into the 'Eye Candy/Yard Candy' area.

I have a few clients who come here weekly year after year & buy 2 doz a week (at $4.50 a doz) just to feed scrambled to her beloved dogs & cats, she herself, does not eat eggs either.

This for Dave & whomever was looking at feed.
I have been getting this for my ducks, a 50# bag is on sale for $11. and off sale $12. at Bi Mart, I get in Aberdeen.
Not sure where any other BiMarts are.
They also carry extremely nice scratch for sale price $9 and off sale $11 also a 50# bag, and has loads of millet/barely & wheats in it besides just cracked corn like DuMor (Dell's Tractor Supply) or Purina.
Compare to Layena....and remember the price, AND the fact that this is a 50# bag.
The bad part is it is pelleted and my birds HATE pellets.
BiMart does not carry crumbles. They DO carry other feeds, I noticed some Omelean, COB...and some calf feed (I think)
BUT, these pellets are very small, so far, the chickens love it & it works excellent for the ducks.
Compare ingredients:

I'm type 1 on that list! No kids, but I'm just allergic to everything furry and adorable, so chickens afford me an outdoor pet that's still affectionate. The eggs are a bonus, but a big one since I'm a chef so I truly value the difference in quality for my finished products. Speaking of which... Time to brag on my EE's first couple of eggs! It took her 10 months but Martha finally laid a beautiful pale aqua egg. 2.2 oz on her second one, which seems large for so early on? Either way, I'm a proud mama!

The black beard, it is potent.

lau.gif

I started out with thoroughbreds. LOL A couple of years ago an Arabian almost got me killed, so I'm not training anymore either. Still have the TBs, but my favorite ride is a 13 hand Paso. :) In the end, the chickens are much more fun, but also a lot more fragile.
hit.gif
I did the same thing with Appys & Quarters...and Labradors.
back when premium Alfalfa was .50 cents a bale.
Had an almost rear/flip over backwards with a gorgeous dappled gray arab mare, so I gave them up.
BUT chickens are fun, and yes, fragile, but take in consideration that within 21 days, you can actually become infested with chickens.
BAM !

I my case, it could be 350 in 21 days.
Can't do that with horses, or dogs either.
So while fragile, they can be replaced, and another special bird will be hatched to steal your heart away !
Or alot of them~~~~~~~~~~
Which is what we call "Chicken math"

The person I got my blue wheaten ameraucana cockerel from tried a no crow collar on him. She also kept him inside their garage at night and early morning. It didn't work really. Just choked him and broke off neck feathers. It only reduced the volume a little. She really wanted to keep him but nothing was working. I have him now and he's not getting eating. He IS put to work taking care of a harem of 7 wheaten/blue wheaten hens.
I could use 6 Blue eggs, not wheaten, if ya have any PM me....
I need some blue Am over Blue C Marans if anyone has any either, there eggs hatch a Blue or Splash OE hen....anyone, PM me, I am not gonna breed them any longer.

New to chickens, but born and living here in Washington State! Love the weather we have been having and I know so many people are already getting eggs.
welcome-byc.gif

Great to have so many new folks !
And yes the weather is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!

But does make me worry about the dry season upcoming..................last year it was terrifying !
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom