Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Be glad it did not lodge in the crop...this dry summer weather will kill grasses, and especially wold grasses, will go to seed.
In the process the grass sends out tougher taller seed heads, and some are very hard for the chickens to tear off in smaller bits, and some birds will end up gobbling down a whole long hunk of grass like a kid eating spaghetti, and luckily yours passed it out ok.
Guinea Fowl will grab the bottom of seed head grasses & rip their beak upwards & in the process rip all the seeds off in their mouths...very cool to watch, but chickens will try & eat the whole thing.
When my pastures get dry & go to seed, I lock my chickens out of it, as they have gotten impacted before.

Thank you, Chickielady, appreciate the insight and we'll be conscious of this now.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my gggggggggggggggggoooooooooooooood

Anyways, back. I've been dealing with so much junk, but now that's out of the way. Cleaned out my storage and got all my parts for my coop together
yippiechickie.gif
plus this lady is INSANE and giving away 4 perfectly good 1/2 Silkie 1/2 Serama mutts.

......so I'm guessing you know who's driving to Post Falls by Wednesday to pick them up
wee.gif

She thinks 1 roo and 3 hens

In the UK was Mad Cow, a form of Bovine Spongiform Enceohalopathy (sp?) a form of Bovine spongiform disease which turns the brain to "sponge", was cited as being caused by feeding COWS beef-by-products....in turn their immunal systems went beserk & attacked the proteins they were fed, which were bains (among other beef by products) and in turn, the immunal system alos attack the healthy brain tissue of the cow........................................................
Imagine that !

Still, today, THEY say they are not positive the disease originated from the cattle being fed their own species, to which I say POOP !!! Among other things I'd love to say!~~~~

http://themedicinejournal.com/articles/what-causes-mad-cow-disease/
Thankyou Chickielady, There has been so many of these things i forgot which one..….I had llamas at the time and many of us spoke with folks over there….There were many negative tested farms depopulated, often animals that were not susceptible to the disease. Sometimes after killing there were piles that stayed for awhile, truck loads that dripped down the roads, That is when i realized you cannot control the birds, rats, flies, etc. who could still go elsewhere. Peta in the US publicly stated they hoped it would come here so we wouldn't own cattle any more….The gov. of Wisc??? Mich??? can't remember stated if it came to his state he would kill everything within 40 miles of an outbreak. FORTY MILES.

Today I was busy trying to clean the house while DH was just hanging out in the yard. He came in the house and the conversation goes like this...
DH: Can chickens eat styrofoam?
Me: Do what?
DH: Can the chicken eat styrofoam?
Me: No, they shouldn't eat styrofoam. Why, did you find some?
DH: Yes, the turkens are eating styrofoam. I watched them bite off pieces and swallow it. All gone.
(Yes, he talks like a 4 year old sometimes.)
Me: Well, you took it away from them, right?
Yeah, we all know the answer to that one. I had to stop right in the middle of washing dishes and run outside to save the turkens from consuming stryofoam. I hope they'll be OK.

I was hoping to get some young hens. I did the duckling thing last year and never got the benefit of eggs! I'd love green and blue eggs though... I guess my biggest concern is not fussing with chicks this year. Any 3-6 month old hens you're interested in parting with?

LaurelC

I have three hens that were 3 months old on the 19th of this month that I want to find homes for The Dad is a Faverolle and the hens were either a Speckled Sussex, or a Welsummer. the babies look like Faverolles. We are moving in Sept and I can't take any of my 30 chickens with me. I also have two Dominques (look like BR's but with a rose comb) two Speckled Sussex, one welsummer,one Bl. Australorp ,one silver Wyandotte,one Buff chantecler and a couple mixed breeds. They are all 11 to 13 months old. I am willing to give them away BUT I will be very picky on were the Sussex and Dominques go because these four are my favorite. They are very sweet and friendly girls. they would rather eat out of my hand then off the ground.

let me know if you are interested in any. I am in Woodinville

I am very interested! I'm just up the street in Bothell. I got the roof on my run and the exterior siding put up today. All that's left is getting my feeder redone and the water cups installed. Would it be possible to come by some time on saturday?

Back
Top Bottom