Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My chicks will be 17 weeks this Sunday and my daughter told me that we might start getting eggs soon. So, tonight I put my fake egg in the nesting box and told my girls that this was where I expected to see them put their eggs. I'm going to get a couple of golf balls and place with my fake egg in hopes this will encourage them. Can't wait for my first egg.
D.gif
Dennis and Co. just had ceramic eggs on sale so I bought five of 'em. I think mine are still too young but my Cuckoo Maran is getting close I think. You still crack me up with your quips and you have a similar attitude to mine. Its kind of like the commercial for the Store: "Open, open, open!" except with Eggs please, eggs please...

Two Chicksahs (how did you determine your name?)

Came back home just a little while ago, (my dogs have a rash :( ) and decided I'd better walk across the driveway to see the "chicks". They came running to me with loud sqwaks telling me how hot they were. So, I pulled an ice ring with watermelon in it out of the freezer for them and gave it to them. They were so excited to see it. I think they remembered when I gave it to them last week. They ate the blueberries last time and I'm sure they will eat the watermelon that is left in no time flat. It's suppose to get up to 88 degrees by late this afternoon. It's 83 now, so I know they were hot. I got hot just walking out to the mailbox. Guess I need to find something else I can freeze in a water ring and get that frozen for next time.
wink.png

I came and got the pullets! They were NOT happy to have been handled! The dogs are wound up about them (took a few days for them to calm down with the ducks too) but after a couple of hours they at least are not flying everywhere when I approach the enclosure!

Sometimes its helpful to lock them inside the coop for a couple of days. They feel secure and they learn that's their new home and nest box. Although in this heat that might be kind of stuffy. I have a wire "door" I can put on the front of our temp. coop for newbies, and it's in full shade.

They actually seem t
Sometimes its helpful to lock them inside the coop for a couple of days. They feel secure and they learn that's their new home and nest box. Although in this heat that might be kind of stuffy. I have a wire "door" I can put on the front of our temp. coop for newbies, and it's in full shade.
Thank you for the advice. With the way my setup is, there's not a great place to lock them all up, but they seem to be settling into their new environment pretty happily. I am trying to get them used to me and my voice, so I dragged a lawn chair into the enclosure last night and sat out there with some bourbon and a book and talked to them occasionally. We seem to be reaching an understanding that if I don't grab at them, they won't panic.

I had to isolate a bully this morning. One of my new Swedish Flower Hens (let's call her Sophia), has been harassing the two Silver Laced Wyandottes (Emma and Eva). She'll be in timeout for a few days.

I have one six-week old Welsummer cockerel left that I need to find a home for. He is not a hatchery bird, but Dutch/German lines. BYC peeps get first dibs on him. Perfect for making those olive eggers!

I am near Port Townsend, WA. Pictures are from 5 weeks old.

I have one six-week old Welsummer cockerel left that I need to find a home for. He is not a hatchery bird, but Dutch/German lines. BYC peeps get first dibs on him. Perfect for making those olive eggers!

I am near Port Townsend, WA. Pictures are from 5 weeks old.

You might contact @KlaHaYa Gardens and see if there's any interest.

My hubby and I moved our chicken tractor today, then, I went in and sat down with them with scratch in hand. They came close around and let me pet them. A couple even sat on my lap.
wee.gif
After I came out of their run, I noticed a little white glob of CHICKEN POOP on my shirt.
ep.gif
Come on chickens...I gave you treats and you see fit to poop on me? Oh well. Guess a little soap and water will do the trick.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom