Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Well I am in Longview I have 13 welsummers 14 barred rock. 10 golden sec links. And 20 buff orpingtons. Then I have my flock of bourbon red turkeys and a small flock of royal Palm turkeys. I'm a army veteran that now lives the lighter side of life. With my lovely wife 2 daughters and another 1 on the way. Along with a Australian Shepard for my all around farm dog. She does it all.
Awesome & so nice to meet you !

Quote: My girls are so crazy....with 6 birds, I think I have 5 laying. (I don't think my Ameracana is laying yet, cause no blue or green eggs, whichever color it is, yet. I do have some cream color eggs which might be her...maybe the color comes with time.) But today, we got one in the morning, then one in the afternoon around 2:00 and two more this evening when we got home. Of course they laid their eggs in the back corner of the coop instead of in the nesting box and I had to put my hand down into their poopy litter in order to balance myself so I could pick up the eggs. Ugh, went running for the soap and water immediately.

I'm looking forward to my first batch of eggs. I wonder which I'll like best out of them. That's great my niece is so grossed out when she gets pooped by

Last edited:
I had to isolate a bully this morning. One of my new Swedish Flower Hens (let's call her Sophia), has been harassing the two Silver Laced Wyandottes (Emma and Eva). She'll be in timeout for a few days.

Hi! I'm near Tacoma and your post caught my attention. I posted on the chicken behavior but didn't get any advice. Maybe you have ideas? I have an EE hen that just started laying (the only one of 5 so far) and is brutally attacking one of our Golden Laced Wyandottes....I mean blood and all. They've all been together since a few days old, now 20 weeks, so I'm pretty disheartened. The EE is not at the top of the order, but has always wanted to be. I have her seperated in a dog crate next to the run. They didn't seem to have a prob at night in the coop until this morning when I heard her attacking again, so I will be keeping her seperated all the time now.
What are your thoughts on timing for reintroducing or whether a super aggressive hen will always be that way? She's not that way to the others nor do the others pick on anyone either.
Thanks so much!!

Hi! I'm near Tacoma and your post caught my attention. I posted on the chicken behavior but didn't get any advice. Maybe you have ideas? I have an EE hen that just started laying (the only one of 5 so far) and is brutally attacking one of our Golden Laced Wyandottes....I mean blood and all. They've all been together since a few days old, now 20 weeks, so I'm pretty disheartened. The EE is not at the top of the order, but has always wanted to be. I have her seperated in a dog crate next to the run. They didn't seem to have a prob at night in the coop until this morning when I heard her attacking again, so I will be keeping her seperated all the time now.
What are your thoughts on timing for reintroducing or whether a super aggressive hen will always be that way? She's not that way to the others nor do the others pick on anyone either.
Thanks so much!!

Whenever I isolate a bully, I typically do it for a few days. She has to sleep in the isolation pen too (just because I'm usually asleep when they get up). Then I'll let them all out together on a day that I watch them and intervene if necessary, I've had good success with that, but I have heard others who eventually had to rehome or cull the bird from their flock, hope that helps. Good luck!

Dear Seattle,

You can have your weather back now!!

Love, Chicago
hit.gif

Anyone in the Olympia area have a couple of docile pullets they are looking for a home for, my mother is building a larger version of the garden coop and will soon be ready to start building a flock (she's getting my noisy faverolles/speckled sussex lady also) and wants some pets (she isn't worried so much about production).

Anyone in the Olympia area have a couple of docile pullets they are looking for a home for, my mother is building a larger version of the garden coop and will soon be ready to start building a flock (she's getting my noisy faverolles/speckled sussex lady also) and wants some pets (she isn't worried so much about production).

She needs some Barnevelders and I know someone with an abundance of young pullets in a variety of ages! They are wonderful birds and lay huge dark brown eggs. She has both blue and black double laced. @DiamondDust is her name on BYC, she's between Shelton & Belfair.

Back
Top Bottom