Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi Washingtonians!

My wife and I relocated from West Seattle to the Kitsap Peninsula in June. We are homesteading on 5 acres with 3 other folks and obviously already have a chicken flock going. I'm writing a blog on our experience, which you can check out--http://kitsappermaculture.blogspot.com/.

We got our first flock from Wilco in Gig Harbor, but I would prefer to use another more direct source for our second flock we'll start this spring. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello Neighborhoods,

I am writing this with mixed emotions. I can not take the situation we are in any longer. Some of you might have seen a post I put up about maybe re-homeing our rooster. We live in the country and our neighbor has complained about our rooster because he crows to much. He works night and sleeps during the day and is having a hard to getting sleep. Well we tried to do a no crow collar and it works for our neighbors benefit but it makes me sick to my stomach listening to his gargling crowing. I just can not take the stress of making the neighbor happy. I do not want to have our rooster's life come to a short end because he does his job in keeping watch over his girls.

Does anyone have a place in your flock for him? He is a blue andalusian about 6 1/2months old.

The White Rocks we got about 3 years (hatchery) ago either were poor layers or didn't lay. the vet did an necropsy on one hen and her laying mechanism was all messed up.....so it explains why those hens never did lay or were poor. I got rid of them and never got any White Rocks since....I would love a good source of them but after that, I am leery.

We are down to 2 eggs after candling today. But one of them wiggled and blinked in reaction to the light! Only about more days and we will know for sure :)

Last edited:
CRAIGSLIST.. there are dozens of local breeders in Kitsap alone.. I've personally gotten all my birds off of Craigslist.. Kitsap and am very happy to meet other "flockers" I have a young Roo that needs rehomed if you are interested.

New to the BYC, and glad there is a thread here for locals! I am in Roy. My question is regarding co-ops. I have read in some threads about co-ops but don't really know what they are about. Are there any in Pierce/North Thurston county and what are they all about?!

New to the BYC, and glad there is a thread here for locals! I am in Roy. My question is regarding co-ops. I have read in some threads about co-ops but don't really know what they are about. Are there any in Pierce/North Thurston county and what are they all about?!

Welcome! I'm not 100% on the co-op thing... I think that it's a set up to be able to trade/buy/sell amongst the community. There are some folks on thins thread that have mentioned co-ops so I think you're in the right place. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom