Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

@ nuklee0, some ducks available for purchase do, but the Indian runners, khaki campbells, and the like are alot of times just not shaped for it. They have been bred by people for a long time to get meat and eggs, or for garden patrol and walking. I look at mine trying to fly up the hill in the morning, and I think they need to have about a foot more wing span to give them some lift because the body type is so heavy.

Cute! So since I'm totally unfamiliar with ducks... why don't backyard ducks just fly away? Are the wings clipped?

Most of the domesticated breeds can't fly (my duck book says when a lot of the breeds were being developed, their bodies ended up getting larger while the wings stayed the same size). The best my Runners manage is a couple feet off the ground for a couple yards, and that's a hilariously clumsy spectacle.

My husband made the sign I though it was hilarious.
#ChickenShaming

I need some definitions because I've never hatched an egg.

Candling...is when you shine a light to silhouette the vessels, etc that shows a chick is forming inside an egg????

Peeping...is when you heard the chick inside peeping?????

Pipping.....?????

or is peeping and pipping really the same thing?

Thanks a bunch.

I need some definitions because I've never hatched an egg.

Candling...is when you shine a light to silhouette the vessels, etc that shows a chick is forming inside an egg????

Peeping...is when you heard the chick inside peeping?????

Pipping.....?????

or is peeping and pipping really the same thing?

Thanks a bunch.
peeping is chick speak, pipping is when the wee chick starts zipping or opening the shell so he/she can get out,

Back
Top Bottom