Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have a nice heavy plastic C lid opener that has a mallet head on the back for reclosing them. I did go with gamma lids for things I get into a lot since they are quicker and easier. Got Mom a bunch of the gamma lids since she can't handle regular lids at all anymore.
I found some at Home Depot that you screw onto a 5 gallon bucket, and it has a lid that screws on & off...easy to open & close, forget what the name is though...we use it for dog kibbies.

This is my first post, so hello! New to Washington, new to chickens. We just bought 3 acres in Centralia in August. My chicks arrive mid March and I'm so excited!
I'm looking for region specific information about predators. Anyone?
I'm originally from Phoenix, AZ. Which is not a very useful background.
1f413.png
Well welcome to BYC !!! And you are in a great location close to alot of enablers !!
So what kind of chicks did you get ?
From where ?

welcome-byc.gif

Bears, mountain lions, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, eagles, hawks, owls, martins, weasels, raccoons, and stray dogs...so basically every known chicken predator in North America. A secure coop for nighttime hours is essential.
Everyone and everything LOVES to eat chicken....yum! They taste so good !!!!
tongue.png

We even had a BYCer on here last fall (forgot who) that had a transient in her coop who stole birds & evidently ate them...so sad !!!
hit.gif

She eventually ran the theives off...whoever that was, please stand up & tell us what happened !
Did they come back ?
Are you transient free ???
fl.gif

Last edited:
I have a nice heavy plastic C lid opener that has a mallet head on the back for reclosing them. I did go with gamma lids for things I get into a lot since they are quicker and easier. Got Mom a bunch of the gamma lids since she can't handle regular lids at all anymore.

I found some at Home Depot that you screw onto a 5 gallon bucket, and it has a lid that screws on & off...easy to open & close, forget what the name is though...we use it for dog kibbies.

These are nice for kibble.

They come with the gamma lids.

This is my first post, so hello! New to Washington, new to chickens. We just bought 3 acres in Centralia in August. My chicks arrive mid March and I'm so excited!
1f413.png
I've lived in Centralia and now just north in Rochester. There are Hawks, Eagles, bears, coyotes, raccoons, weasels, opossum. Even the occasional owl will pick them of if they don't all go into to roost at night.

I've lived in Centralia and now just north in Rochester. There are Hawks, Eagles, bears, coyotes, raccoons, weasels, opossum. Even the occasional owl will pick them of if they don't all go into to roost at night.

A great defense is a good defense. Predators are dependent on neighborhood and stuff... But raccoons, possums, Hawks are everywhere!!!

We have the entire property field fenced, the recent Fear-ah our german shepard sleep out there across from the chickens in the barn we will here her bark seldom today there where two dogs loose that are often they are always at out fences shew went to the fence gave them a few barks and they left. good girl
woot.gif

1f413.png

Welcome!
Phoenix, huh? I lived they're when I was 18.
Congrats on the property and to chickens!

Thanks for the welcome and for the input on predators guys! I'm getting (in a couple weeks) 2 each buff orpington, black australorp, speckled Sussex, black laced wyandotte and one black copper Maran. I'm getting them from the Feed Bin in Rochester.
I'm going to get a rooster later in the season, still trying to decide what breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom