Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Thanks!! I have the run covered with wire on top, so they're good there, but I'm hoping to let them out in the yard during the day. We do have a lot of crows....ill keep my eye out for Hawks now that we've got chickens.

We have crows that keep the hawks and eagles from nesting too close but they fly overhead at times, probably because we are so close to Highway 18 and that gives them a good hunting ground of rodents. Our tree cover and our lookout roosters have kept diving hawks from grabbing anything. We have some more fences across the open part of our yard so that also helps.

We have seen hawks dive down on more than one occasion but end up empty taloned. The roosters send the alarm and everything runs under cover. Without a rooster we could face losses even with the tree cover. The tree cover discourages the crows from swooping in after duck eggs and ducklings to an extent but they still manage to get eggs and babies every year because they are always looking for them and the chickens and ducks don't pay much attention to them. They will come after scraps we throw out for the chickens too so we try to hide those under the porch to the coop.

We actually have an Anatolian Shepherd that is a great flock protector but she is old so she prefers to stay inside. We had to sell her goats and move the horses to a location where dogs are not allowed so she is retired now. She was given to us with her goats but we have made her a house dog because she wants to be inside with us rather than outside with the birds.

Last edited:
I put the youngest chicks in the new Coop this afternoon. I've already checked on them three times since the sun went down. Two are on the roost and one is huddled underneath them. Twice now I've put her on the roost and she goes back under. So I give up. They have not had a Ruesta before so I'm just happy they are there. Of course I had to put them up there but anyway.

Just purchased the new complete 2nd edition of "The Chicken Health Handbook, Gail Damerow…full color.Have both but highly recommend this new version for those looking for that one or two good books to have for reference.

Our funny little Penny died late this morning. She's been acting lethargic the past few days, drinking tons but hardly eating or moving. All I can think of is either she ate something she shouldn't have (entirely possible due to her very curious nature), or the sudden warm weather was too much for her.
RIP sweet girl.

I guess I get to hatch some more chicks. I've got a bunch of her eggs waiting to go into the incubator.

This sounds like something I've observed several times. I'm curious if there are similarities. Would you mind telling me the answers to the questions below. I'm not trying to be nosey or anything, just trying to compare data as a way to learn. I keep a small flock so I don't have lots and lots of birds to compare histories. Thanks.

1. Her age
2. Breed
3. Was she from a known breeder, feed store, commercial hatchery, or....
4. About how long was she acting 'off'?
5. Had her egg shells gotten thinner?
6. Had her laying schedule changed? If so how long ago did it change?

This sounds like something I've observed several times. I'm curious if there are similarities. Would you mind telling me the answers to the questions below. I'm not trying to be nosey or anything, just trying to compare data as a way to learn. I keep a small flock so I don't have lots and lots of birds to compare histories. Thanks.

1. Her age
2. Breed
3. Was she from a known breeder, feed store, commercial hatchery, or....
4. About how long was she acting 'off'?
5. Had her egg shells gotten thinner?
6. Had her laying schedule changed? If so how long ago did it change?
1. Her hatch date was 8-25-2015, so not quite 8 months old.
2. She was an Easter Egger/Barred Rock cross.
3. Hatched her myself. I owned her parents, as well.
4. She was off for about 48 hours, prior to passing.
5. No change in eggs.
6. She laid the morning that she started acting lethargic.

1. Her age 1
2. Breed Barred Rocks
3. Was she from a known breeder, feed store, commercial hatchery, or.... feed store
4. About how long was she acting 'off'? The one that does not lay daily does not squat for pets
5. Had her egg shells gotten thinner? all eggs solid so far
6. Had her laying schedule changed? If so how long ago did it change? daily no changes
actually 4 of them are daily #5 takes a break every now and then.

I am also looking for 4 Olive eggers

Quote:
Gee, so young, that's sad. The symptoms you mentioned sounded very much like some I've had that had a bacterial infection, but they were "off" for several weeks, they gradually layed fewer eggs and the shells got thinner over those weeks. One produced a lash egg and that was the definitive symptom. Comparing notes with other peeps it's obvious that birds from commercial hatchery stock comprise a much higher percentage of layers with similar symptoms, including being egg bound or having a prolapsed vent.

Did you do, or consider having a necropsy done?

Gee, so young, that's sad. The symptoms you mentioned sounded very much like some I've had that had a bacterial infection, but they were "off" for several weeks, they gradually layed fewer eggs and the shells got thinner over those weeks. One produced a lash egg and that was the definitive symptom. Comparing notes with other peeps it's obvious that birds from commercial hatchery stock comprise a much higher percentage of layers with similar symptoms, including being egg bound or having a prolapsed vent.

Did you do, or consider having a necropsy done?
No necropsy. Her symptoms of lethargy and thirst, combine with the short time that she was ill (less than 48 hours from onset to death) indicate that it was either the sudden heat or ingesting something toxic. In either case, there isn't much to be done other than wait and see.

Well I finally caught up on the reading. You've all been busy peeps. I see we have some new folks, so welcome to all!

I got so excited a couple of weeks ago, all 5 of my layers were laying! It's been soooo long since I've had an abundance of eggs, it felt down right luxurious. Now 3 of the 5 are broody! It's always something, huh? I really need to concentrate on having more breeds that aren't so broody prone. Last summer I got a Swedish Flower Hen hen that I had great hopes for. Big eggs, hardy, not broody, good layer. Well after 5 months at my place she finally layed 11 eggs over 2 months. Nothing since. So, just like the old saying goes... the best laid plans. sigh. But I'll keep trying. :) So right now, besides the SFH I have 2 Barnevelders from Janelle's show stopping hen (@DiamondDust ), a heritage RIR from @budsbirds , a splash BBS Wheaten Ameraucana from Lyn Adams flock, and a mutt bantam EE whose the rock of my layers (from a "breeder" whose name should never be spoken.) But when you actually need a SMALL egg, it's handy. hehe

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Back
Top Bottom