Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

had to give my roo a wack tonight forcing himself on a pullet that hasn't layed yet
was going to post a young pullet from unknown olive but black with lots more colour like some brown
and think he is getting roo like more than pullet but the olive roo is starting his strut
pretty early you ask me

Last edited:
So I had a few chickens explode overnight. Like serious just drop half their feathers molt. It was so bad I had to do head counts because I thought something got into the pens and killed some birds. That amount of feathers

I wondered where this post was going when I read your first sentence :) i'm glad it didn't turn out like I thought it might.

My old barred rock hen started molting last month. I'm actually happy she is doing it now rather than in the winter when she needs those feathers to stay warm. I had another hen last year that was nearly naked for all of October. Fortunately it didn't start to get really cold until her feathers had grown back.

There are a group of pullets here that are four months old. My rooster has been breeding with one of them. He is gentle with her and she doesn't protest, so I let them be chickens. She must be getting close to laying, and she has the reddest comb of all the girls.

My old barred rock hen started molting last month. I'm actually happy she is doing it now rather than in the winter when she needs those feathers to stay warm. I had another hen last year that was nearly naked for all of October. Fortunately it didn't start to get really cold until her feathers had grown back.

There are a group of pullets here that are four months old. My rooster has been breeding with one of them. He is gentle with her and she doesn't protest, so I let them be chickens. She must be getting close to laying, and she has the reddest comb of all the girls.
Guess I am not too panicked as I will not keep him for long I will let
him get a nice weight then he can go guess being the only boy I will call
him stew
lau.gif

Last edited:
Would adding oats and alfalfa to my chicken feed affect the nutrition much? I'm looking for a way to spread out the feed a little more, make it a little cheaper. I buy expensive feed which is OK but it is starting to get too expensive.

Would adding oats and alfalfa to my chicken feed affect the nutrition much? I'm looking for a way to spread out the feed a little more, make it a little cheaper. I buy expensive feed which is OK but it is starting to get too expensive.
The short answer is yes. If you cut the feed with too much of anything, it will unbalance the overall nutrient intake.

The short answer is yes. If you cut the feed with too much of anything, it will unbalance the overall nutrient intake. 

I wondered about that. I want to keep feeding the type of feed my opinion that I have right now but I can't afford it. I did find a source of non-GMO organic no corn no soy etc. feed up near Spokane. But they are a wholesale operation and it's not like you can just buy a small bag or two. Well you could but it wouldn't be worth the shipping costs. So far none of the people I know here want to go in with me and share.
I have 12 chickens, they do free range part of the day if not all day. But my yard doesn't have a lot of stuff in it for them to eat except grass and some weeds. I do know somebody who is going to Spokane in September. If they brought me back to our 300 pounds of feed and I stored it in 5 gallon plastic buckets with airtight lids in the garage would that be good enough to keep it fresh for them? Wow, that was one big long run on sentence :) sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom