Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

hey @Duck Drover the only ones I might do away with are not big enough
for chicken nuggets yet, my first hatch had to assist one little peep coming out
backwards it has a bald spot just before the right wing close to the neck need them larger before
placing them outside.
my bachelor pad is full with 5, 5 week old's

I have a bird room (hatchery) inside and another brooder room in our shop (which has not been used for awhile) because I separated them in order to do NPIP (which I have not done yet due to the code change limiting my long term plans as I am unable to replace roosters once the boys I have now are gone). I do hatch year round but not as much over the winter. I would rather sell chicks as babies than raising them but I do raise them as well so I can keep the nicest ones, which is the point of hatching after all. We have been talking about just keeping ducks and selling off the chickens since the ducks are so low maintenance and we love them more than the chickens, which were originally intended to hatch duck eggs but we have incubators that do a better job.

My break from hatching taught me that we don't really need to keep chickens for hatching eggs but we might keep the Easter Eggers in order to have eating eggs if the Easter Eggers from our Quechua rooster turn out the way I hope. There is one that looks like a rooster with such beautiful colors while some look too much like the father with mostly buff feathering. I have had a hen sitting on eggs for far too long, I think so I am not sure if her time off from laying will even be productive.

So many hens have gone broody but they are young things that don't seem to be dedicated enough to hatch anything. I have to kick them all off their nests to get them fattened up again before it gets colder at night.

@Duck Drover See I have one cockerel I really did not intend but he came out so striking
Then I was cursed with the incubator bug
taken to ee or bsl to him

I didn't even know this group exsisted.New to this thread but my daughter raises silkies for 4h.We live in Vancouver, Wa
Nice of you to stop in we have a pretty solid group here
welcome-byc.gif
and our
Washington State We even have a pretty cool Silkie breeder that likes to hand
out grins on a regular basis

Ok question/ opinion time....

Wry tail, genetic or other?

The parent stock of my chicks show no wry tail or any of the 50+ chicks the owner hatched (i personally seen most of them) out of 3 survivors of a disastrous bad hatch( bad temp/humidity and a power outage) 2 chicks are showing wry tail

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom