Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Well that's a tough question. I have six eggs but can only confirm that the two green ones I have are either black or blue Ameraucanas. The other four are a mystery. I was given a list of the different breeds that Fruitful Farms in Arlington (where I got the eggs) had and just did research for pictures of what they should look like as chicks. That being said I have no clue what the silvery one could be, but I'm pretty sure the black one is either a Cuckoo Maran or a Black Copper Maran. I'll take another picture when I get home, now that the black one is fluffing up a bit

Last edited:
On second thought, the silvery one could be a Blue Wyandotte. That was on my list and she does kind of look like a Blue Wyandotte chick... Hmmmm... Well I guess I'll just have to keep posting about their progress and have everyone help me to determine what they are :D

Well that's a tough question. I have six eggs but can only confirm that the two green ones I have are either black or blue Ameraucanas. The other four are a mystery. I was given a list of the different breeds that Fruitful Farms in Arlington (where I got the eggs) had and just did research for pictures of what they should look like as chicks. That being said I have no clue what the silvery one could be, but I'm pretty sure the black one is a Cuckoo Maran. I'll take another picture when I get home, now that the black one is fluffing up a bit

not familiar with the farm but to me ameracauna lay blue eggs, green is more toward easter egger I bought these little peeps suppose to be marans they are all black a tad of white under the wing is all, almost big enough to go in the main coop there are only 4 left I did have to cull a pullet with her leg broke by the others two are cockerel 2 are pullets

Ameraucana are probably the most misrepresented breed out there. The hatcheries hold a lot of blame for that. Just because it lays blue eggs doesn't make it an ameraucana. Araucana and Legbars also lay blue, but easter eggers are probably 90% of the blue layers out there.

I have just the 5 ameracauna left two being cockerel of the 11 these are ameracauna i know he is breeding the EE from Junebug actually all but three in there my main coop come from her I think she is the one that said breeding the lav to anyone will come out black

I have just the 5 ameracauna left two being cockerel of the 11 these are ameracauna i know he is breeding the EE from Junebug actually all but three in there my main coop come from her I think she is the one that said breeding the lav to anyone will come out black
Correct. Lavender is a recessive dilute gene for black and needs a copy from each parent to express.

I'll be having a lot of black/partridge mixed chicks this spring. The best will be kept to breed back to partridge. Means a good chance for leaky black cull females. As always the culls will be priced cheap.

All this first gen cross will be leaky black. Crossed back will give 50/50 partridge and leaky black. Hopefully this will help my comb color and shape issues.

I'm planning on putting the leaky blue female with a black rooster as well. There will be some actual black chicks from that. Any blue ones will be culls since they will be gold based instead of silver.

Back
Top Bottom