Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

I have not vaccinated for about 5 years now. All the vaccinated adult hens are either old biddies or active breeders. A good portion of the younger ones now have ameraucana blood in their background as well which seems to help as ameraucana aren't easily susceptible to Mareks and silkies are very susceptible.

I fully understand wanting to get them vaccinated. It's not cost efficient for me to vaccinate at the moment because it's $60 shipping and $30 each vaccine. If I was hatching a lot it would be doable.
Yeah! That makes total sense. I was able to purchase the Marek's vaccine and vaccinate the birds in my current flock as day-olds but it is pretty cost prohibitive. It would be hard to justify doing it again without having a bunch of chicks to make it worth it. I wish it was available in smaller quantities!

Hi everyone. Wondering when most folks do spring worming of chickens. The weather has been weirdly warm lately, but looks like some chilly nights coming up. I wormed in August, so just want to find the best time for spring. TIA.

I only worm if I see a problem. So maybe a handful of times in 13 years. It's coccidiosis that causes problems for me here in spring. I watch and use corid as needed.

Ivermectin works for mites and that does get used. I really need to pay the money and get my mini aussies MDR1 tested so I know if they carry the mutation that makes Ivermectin dangerous. I usually keep the dogs away from the birds if Ive used it. Don't need them eating tainted poop or anything. I didn't have my GSD or the aussie/heeler tested so started the isolation. All are from at risk breeds.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Wondering when most folks do spring worming of chickens. The weather has been weirdly warm lately, but looks like some chilly nights coming up. I wormed in August, so just want to find the best time for spring. TIA.
Hi Moosey! I think it really depends on your local situation. I normally worm spring and fall because my place has woods on the north side which means my chickens find snails and slugs. My vet told me the snails in particular are big roundworm hosts in my area.

My friend just down the road has no woods close to her chicken coop and has fewer issues with roundworms.

Back
Top Bottom