Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Mom is from Holland - she thinks re-heated spinach is toxic. I've noticed this in all Dutch natives I've met. If you cook spinach, you must eat it right away .... no spinach quiche spanakopita, or anything like that. Apparently spinach leftovers are deadly to the dutch!
idunno.gif
but not their Amercan children!

http://www.wolfstad.com/2009/05/reheating-spinach-dangerous-in-holland-fine-in-rest-of-world/

If reheating spinach really does cause nitrates, I would tend to believe this. Nitrates have been proven in many studies to cause cancer. We used to be be a big time backyard barbeque family. We loved those pretty black stripes on our meat. My FIL passed away from colon cancer. My MIL passed away from cancer. I don't have any cancer in my family history at all, but after years of living my husband's family lifestyle, I had a polyp removed that was precancerous - a very fast type growing cancer cell and was told to eliminate eating nitrates as much as possible because it was proven in multiple studies that that particular cancer cell was caused by nitrates. They strongly stressed that I avoid nitrates. Thankfully they caught it - they said had I not had an early colonoscopy, I would not have lived to see 50. I radically changed what I was eating and try not to eat foots that are laden in nitrates (blackened meats, packaged sandwich meats, deli meats, hot dogs, etc.) I was tested again 3 years later and so far so good. So, if reheating spinach really does cause nitrates, it could actually be deadly to American children, too.

We're still somewhat of a barbeque family - meats, though, now get cooked in tin foil so they don't develop any blackening at all. I avoid deli-type meats, as well, as much as I can.

I cook a pound of rice in five cups of water (parch the rice in preheating oven; add hot (teakettle) water just below the boil, bake at 350 for an hour then add one 1000au vitamin D pill and one 500mg calcium per chicken 1 T sea salt and 1/2 C olive oil (all from Trader Joe's except the calcium, which is from Walgreens) and let cool. If I have extra apples, they get apples chopped in, once in a while.
I feed this in their treat bowls, which are separate from their regular feed and used for everything from raw oatmeal to scratch grains to red worms to restraunt doggy bags. In winter I often add chunks of orange to the mix. Every once in a while I kick in some EZ iron (again, TJ's) which is a powdered FeS in caps; I break open those caps.
Part of the thinking behind the extra D and calcium is that I do not free range, and also I have UV resistant greenhouse plastic over the layer pens
They also get all sorts of greens, especially Romaine lettuce and lemon balm, and cut lawn grass in midsummer when the sheep can't keep up with it.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed! There is just so little sunshine during our cloudy fall-winter-spring months!
My girls get outside their pen, but much of free ranging is under a big apple tree so it's shaded a lot this time of year. There's not much growing there either, so I stuff a suet feeder with kale and collard leaves and provide other fruit and vegetables fairly regularly. My mother thinks they're treated pretty royally! hehe

When I have flocks with that problem sometimes I have to use three feed trays.
Most of the time two will do.
Ticks off the bullies when they can't take charge of all the food.

Kind of like what our government is trying to do.
thumbsup.gif
And the gas, and the guns, and the Pharmacuetical companies, and the insurance companies, and the telephone companies, and....

OH: about treats and pecking order: if you're feeding sufficient treats for everyone, the lowest chicken should have something to eat after the others get bored and walk off. The ONLY chicken I have that gets shorted in Sylvia: Ian either eats everything, or spoils shat he doesn't eat so she can't have it: it's why he's going to that great stockpot in the sky. I use big feed pans- I started with the rubber grain pans we use for show cattle, but now use plastic because the rubber is impossible to keep clean and chickens can't breat plastic by stepping on it like cattle! Those are from Del's and are the 12" size, so there's no crowding other chickens out.

You haven't met my fiesty little EE. She's the smallest of the group, but if she even THINKS she MIGHT want to eat something, you better not come around. I think she could chase off a good sized dog if they looked like they were interested in her food!
lau.gif

But, like you said, if there's left-overs and she moves about 30 feet away, then there's a chance the others will get some. I usually just make sure to have 2 plates of food... one for her and one for everyone else, and put them far apart!
Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom