Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote:
My husband took recent pictures and videos of "his" babies on his phone. I wonder if we can figure out how to transfer them to the computer. He took the pictures when they were outside. They look very different under natural light than they do under the red light. None of the pictures I've posted show their true colors - because I took all of them under a red light. I didn't realize how much the red light changes their coloring.

The two huge chicks (Coca and Rocha) with big combs look light grey, but I think they are "spotted" - white mixed with dark grey. Turns out that "Blackie" isn't all black - he has black feathers with shiny brown tips on the feathers. And he has the most stunning eyes I've ever seen on a bird - eerie almost - like they're looking right through you. At first I thought they were blue eyes - but, they're not. They're bright. I don't know how to describe them. And, Latte is very unique, pretty light brown/salmon colored on the wings and it looks like the head is coming in black. I can't find anything like Latte anywhere - and I've been Googling chick pictures trying to find something like him/her. The feather coloring is very pretty.

You guys be careful with that chicken math! I still feel bad for the people I bought our chicken tractor from. They live on a small neighborhood lot, started out with 5, then chicken math took over. They got in trouble with the city and all coops & chickens were required to be removed ASAP. We asked how many they had, and they didn't know. They sold them off to multiple people. The only # she could remember was one guy buying 40. The area the chickens were in was not much bigger than the area my kid's swing set is in. That was a bit shocking for us to hear. We couldn't imagine more than just a few living in our entire back yard, let alone in one corner of it.
People like that are problematic for the rest of us.

I'm fighting to keep my flock, both at the local level and the state level. There are several of us here in Michigan that have been meeting with the state Ag commissioners and attorneys. What is crazy is that the state law already says we can have chickens (and other animals) regardless of the local zoning ordinances.

At least they are listening to us at the state level. I'm trying to get on the task force for next year and we have a meeting with a MDARD attorney next Friday. In the mean time, I'll be in local court on Tuesday.

I wonder if we can figure out how to transfer them to the computer.

I have to email myself anything I take with my iPhone. I try and only use my DSLR, but don't carry that with me EVERY time I go outside. You'd think I should, being a part time photographer.

Quote:
My husband took recent pictures and videos of "his" babies on his phone. I wonder if we can figure out how to transfer them to the computer. He took the pictures when they were outside. They look very different under natural light than they do under the red light. None of the pictures I've posted show their true colors - because I took all of them under a red light. I didn't realize how much the red light changes their coloring.

The two huge chicks (Coca and Rocha) with big combs look light grey, but I think they are "spotted" - white mixed with dark grey. Turns out that "Blackie" isn't all black - he has black feathers with shiny brown tips on the feathers. And he has the most stunning eyes I've ever seen on a bird - eerie almost - like they're looking right through you. At first I thought they were blue eyes - but, they're not. They're bright. I don't know how to describe them. And, Latte is very unique, pretty light brown/salmon colored on the wings and it looks like the head is coming in black. I can't find anything like Latte anywhere - and I've been Googling chick pictures trying to find something like him/her. The feather coloring is very pretty.

Email them from your phone to your computer? Use a mini-usb cable to transfer them from the phone to the computer?

Quote: For this show, I like the keep it simple idea. I will scope things out and see if CR's trailer could be used to meet up and exchange stuff, or if there is somewhere else. And if everyone makes their own name tags that would be great. Monroe will be a different story. That one we will do up right!
highfive.gif
This is just MHO.

Quote: No, he just thinks he is.
lau.gif
But just like most men......HE IS WRONG!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

edit to add- CL there is a page for this show where you can post what you have for sale. Washington Feather Fanciers Winter Show in the Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet ups area. I can't seem to get the link. Sorry!.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The only thing that I have ever found that works to break a brood, is to remove the hen from the nesting boxes and coop. She needs to be put into solitary for several days. If you can pen her up where she can see the rest of the flock, but can't doing anything with them, seems to work best. I have a portable dog run, that I can set up in my run. She will still need to protected from the weather, but she shouldn't have any comforts of home either, just food and water. About three days of this will break most broody hens.

I like the idea of ice cubes though, but my experience tells me that the hen would simply move nests at my house. I too currently have a broody, but I am ignoring her for now. She is a little frizzle Cochin hen, and it doesn't really matter to me when she is broody. I think that there was one summer that she was broody for the whole summer.

Looks like your're right. She just moved one box over. I think I'll let her be for a few days. I don't want her trying to go lay a nest somewhere random outside. Luckily, she lets me get the eggs from underneath her. Currently, all my cages are occupied, I'll have to see if I can grab one off of CL.

Ok, I think I have a broody in the making. One of my 6.5mo BR(Whitie) has been in the nest box ALL day. I took her out 3 times and within 5 minutes she was back in it. No egg today either. I am ok with her being broody. I just don't know If I want her to hatch out some eggs in December. I would be moving her to the grow-out tractor if I let her hatch out. I have 3 eight week olds in it now that I am planning on integrating in Dec. Will she be able to stay warm enough in there alone? I know she can keep the chicks warm. Or should I just let her work out her broodiness on her own? She will eventually move off after a while of having no eggs under her, right? I wish she would wait til next Feb. but I know I can't control her hormones. Any thoughts on what I should do. I do not have a wire cage to force break her.

I found an interesting way of bonding with crazy bantams today: preen their neck feathers for them. Peanut (Belgian) had a bunch of pin feathers on her neck, so I spent a bit of time gently scratching the casings off. She fell asleep and didn't even care when I got a few of her beard feathers. It was awfully cute.

Back
Top Bottom