Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
If gender is in question, that is no doubt a hen. A pretty hen. Roosters cannot come in that color.

bow.gif
Thank you I don't have to check in the am to make sure! lol! I am hoping she is still getting used to us!

4 silkies are hatched and home now. A little disappointed but I understand that hatch rate can be on the low side with shipped eggs.

I have shown them the water and the oldest has drank on it's own now, but not the others, they are a day or two younger.

What about getting them interested in food? The first hatch is coming up on 3 day out.
I tapped my finger in the food to show them. Any other ideas?

Any ideas would be fantastic!

And a big, big THANK YOU to Tamara(WA4-Hpoultrymom) for hatching my chicks and showing me the ropes!
I can see where this could be just as addicting as chickens themselves!
Ah! to have peeping in the house again! Love it!

Kim

4 silkies are hatched and home now. A little disappointed but I understand that hatch rate can be on the low side with shipped eggs.

I have shown them the water and the oldest has drank on it's own now, but not the others, they are a day or two younger.

What about getting them interested in food? The first hatch is coming up on 3 day out.

Any ideas would be fantastic!

And a big, big THANK YOU to Tamara(WA4-Hpoultrymom) for hatching my chicks and showing me the ropes!
I can see where this could be just as addicting as chickens themselves!
Ah! to have peeping in the house again! Love it!

Kim
So your little ones aren't eating yet?

If you need them to drink, you need to beak-dip them in the water. Youtube it, super simple and you just dip them a little bit in the water to show them where it is. I brought all mine home as day-old chicks and they were already eating in the shops I bought them from. I kinda thought that's just what they did. Maybe you could mix a little warm water in with their food to encourage them to eat it? Show each of them where it is, yada yada. IDK, sorry they're stressing you out though, I would hate that!

Can the chicken experts here listen to the sound on this page titled "Chicken Moaning with a High Pitch"? Is this the sound of a chicken in a lot of pain?

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/chicken?page=3

I put my 6-week-old Light Brahma, who has been in a chair for 2 days, out in her hospital kennel next to the brooder for bed time. She's on shredded paper covered by paper towel. After 2 days of being in the chair all day (but not at night), she still can't walk. She started making this sound and my other two started flying to the top of the brooder and body slamming into the wire of the hospital kennel. I finally had to turn off all lights just to get them to calm down and stop slamming against the brooder wire. Last time I checked, my Light Brahma was still making that sound.

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on here? Thanks. I'm just heartbroken over this whole situation and I don't want my other two to get hurt in the process.

Can the chicken experts here listen to the sound on this page titled "Chicken Moaning with a High Pitch"? Is this the sound of a chicken in a lot of pain?

http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/chicken?page=3

I put my 6-week-old Light Brahma, who has been in a chair for 2 days, out in her hospital kennel next to the brooder for bed time. She's on shredded paper covered by paper towel. After 2 days of being in the chair all day (but not at night), she still can't walk. She started making this sound and my other two started flying to the top of the brooder and body slamming into the wire of the hospital kennel. I finally had to turn off all lights just to get them to calm down and stop slamming against the brooder wire. Last time I checked, my Light Brahma was still making that sound.

Can anyone clue me in on what's going on here? Thanks. I'm just heartbroken over this whole situation and I don't want my other two to get hurt in the process.
I am not an expert and it doesn't sound quiet like the danger trill but it sort of does.

what is wrong with her legs? I missed that some where.

Oh itsren! I'm so sorry she's making that sound, i'd be heartbroken too!! Sounds like she's in a lot of pain. How are her poops today? Any better now that she isn't eating wood shavings?

I moved my incubator and eggs into the family room where the fire place is. And of course as soon as we get them all back in the incubator and my husband went to turn off the generator we discovered that the electricity was on. I am not moving them again tonight I am waiting till morning.

I had to smash the food to dust-size particles for my Rhode Island Red. We had her for 2 days and I couldn't get her to eat until I did that. I thought we were going to lose her - she had no energy at all and was very lethargic. She would fall asleep standing. After smashing the food - the other two wanted smashed food, too, so they each ended up with their own little bowl (dipping sauce sized cup) of smashed food along with the chick feeder full of unsmashed Chick Start. As soon as I saw the RIR eating from the chick feeder a few days later, I stopped smashing the food. The RIR regained strength quickly after she finally began to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom