Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the info, you guys. Looks like I have enough info to keep me busy for a bit yet, haha - will definitely be calling the lady in Bremerton. For those who mentioned the game bird feed for turkeys, do you use that for meat chickens, too?

@Ron - that's sad about the woman in Monroe. Reminds me - my mom is getting chicks this weekend, probably brooding them in a cardboard box. I should bring her a smoke detector. I don't think she has one.

Maybe pick her up a plastic storage tub instead? They are pretty cheap and small cardboard boxes scare me. We are creating a Phase 2 brooder box using cardboard for our month old chicks, but it will be huge, and the lights will be right in the middle, not near the edges.

Quote:
I just saw that on the news and first thing I thought (besides how sad) was Gee I hope that wasn't any of my BYC buddies. I think we need a WA roll call just to check.
idunno.gif

Ron for what it's worth when I clean my wood stove out I put the (cold) ash for the chickens to dust in. They really like it and it is supposed to help with parasites.

Boy did I hit the jackpot today. Found an ad on CL for used brick so I got the neighbor and we went to get it. Well we got a couple hundred red bricks, some cinder blocks, some very interesting rocks AND about 1000lbs of awesome big chunks of granite. We had the back of my truck full and there is still more to get my next trip to town. All for free
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
chicken rustler
hey, next time your rustling chickens up here in Woodinville maybe you can drop me off some wood ash
tongue2.gif
just put it in the garbage can at the end of the driveway, I don't want ya anywhere near my coop
tongue.gif
. You missed a golden opportunity to get some Fine looking girls last week. Kim and hubby were in Mexico. I think they get back today

What ya going to build with all the bricks??? a chicken coop that the coyote can't huff and puff and blow down
tongue2.gif
. why doesn't that story sound right
hu.gif

Quote:
I just saw that on the news and first thing I thought (besides how sad) was Gee I hope that wasn't any of my BYC buddies. I think we need a WA roll call just to check.
idunno.gif

Ron for what it's worth when I clean my wood stove out I put the (cold) ash for the chickens to dust in. They really like it and it is supposed to help with parasites.

Boy did I hit the jackpot today. Found an ad on CL for used brick so I got the neighbor and we went to get it. Well we got a couple hundred red bricks, some cinder blocks, some very interesting rocks AND about 1000lbs of awesome big chunks of granite. We had the back of my truck full and there is still more to get my next trip to town. All for free
celebrate.gif

Yeesh, that's scary! I remember when I used those heatlamps that weren't actually lights, but just a flat thing that emitted a LOT of heat. I once accidentally dropped one, and wow. . . It burned up and lit fire to the pine shavings in no time. Freaked me out - Had to instantly put it out, and wipe any burnt shavings off the instrument. . . Now I just use red heat lamps.
smile.png

Hey there Washingtonians - Newbie here - We just got our first 2 chicks yesterday; a Speckled Sussex and and Delaware. We're in Edmonds, WA which just changed the ordinance late last year to allow 3 hens (I hope I'm understanding correctly). We're planning on getting one more but wanted 3 different breeds so have to wait a couple days. Hopefully the new one fits in okay. With only keeping two, we're obviously intending on these as pets/laying chickens.

Erin (aka Brickwood)

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Erin

And you shouldn't have a problem integrating them within a few days. I've integrated as much as 3 weeks later and not had a problem.

Our broody hen popped two eggs out of the nest (not surprising since we were somewhat ambitious with the number of eggs we gave her) and gobbled them up! The gobbling up was a bit surprising, but chickens will be chickens!? Just another week and a half until chick-time
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom