Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's nine; last year she weaned a steer calf who was only about 200lbs lighter than her. She's Angus X Shorthorn, out of a white cow who we culled for meanness (at 14 or so, she'd been OK but got old and cranky), but she's a sweetie-pie. She's only ever dropped a black calf with an Angus bull, and even then they're mostly blue. Last year's was red and white, and she had a roan heifer out of our last shorthorn bull.
(ETA: obviously stuck this on the wrong post, I am as ever prone to imperfection).

Thanks chickylady so after careful inspection of all 20 pullets I noticed three of the younger ones by about two week all have plucked feathers on their backs so I separated the three of them maybe let them mature a little more before they join the flock . weird part about this is they were in cramped brooder so I moved them outside to their coop then all this plucking started, I dunno im as green as they come to the chicken world

Ok so there is no way I can catch up so not gonna try unless someone says to look at post ###.... :D

I've been working in the yard garden a lot and to tired to do much but check emails by dark....

So I hope all is well with all of you guys and if you need to get a hold of me just PM me. I always check emails as they go to my phone.

I have some great birds still for sale. :)

BLRW's 3 months old and looking great! WA-4h you have awesome birds!

Buff Orpingtons 2 months old and 1 light Brahma ? (feathered shanks not toes, was supposed to be a sussex but far as I know sussex's do not have feathered shanks)

the lemon cuckoo is mine :D

Oh and some sweet Easter Eggers chicks just hatched! The eggs they hatched from are mint green eggs and daddy is a beautiful blue Ameraucana (Poseidon), he is such a sweet boy!

Just put in a batch of blue eggs (pure BBS Ameraucana's) so should have some great AM chicks soon :)

Cloverleaf - Your bantam am's are awesome! some very nice dark blues! will have to take photo tomorrow if I can.
Hallerlake - Mohawk the Psycho bird is growing big! will take photos soon.

Oh... I'm also selling both our Fords. Mom's Van and my Dad's F150
Both have full towing package with 3/4 ton loads, almost new 460 engines which are getting harder to find now, both are being sold as is for engine, transmission and parts. 1978-1980
F150 is 4wheel drive and has been lifted a good 6-12"... (I don't know how much but it is like mt climbing to get in!)
Both have been parked in the driveway and not started for awhile and well neither of us can drive so they need to find good homes. (and help us pay some bills!)
PM if interested in more info or buying.

Take care guys and again PM if you need something.... I just won't be online much as there is to much work/life going on at this time.

Ok so there is no way I can catch up so not gonna try unless someone says to look at post ###....
big_smile.png

I've been working in the yard garden a lot and to tired to do much but check emails by dark....
So I hope all is well with all of you guys and if you need to get a hold of me just PM me. I always check emails as they go to my phone.
I have some great birds still for sale.
smile.png

BLRW's 3 months old and looking great! WA-4h you have awesome birds!

Buff Orpingtons 2 months old and 1 light Brahma ? (feathered shanks not toes, was supposed to be a sussex but far as I know sussex's do not have feathered shanks)

the lemon cuckoo is mine
big_smile.png

Oh and some sweet Easter Eggers chicks just hatched! The eggs they hatched from are mint green eggs and daddy is a beautiful blue Ameraucana (Poseidon), he is such a sweet boy!
Just put in a batch of blue eggs (pure BBS Ameraucana's) so should have some great AM chicks soon
smile.png

Cloverleaf - Your bantam am's are awesome! some very nice dark blues! will have to take photo tomorrow if I can.
Hallerlake - Mohawk the Psycho bird is growing big! will take photos soon.
Oh... I'm also selling both our Fords. Mom's Van and my Dad's F150
Both have full towing package with 3/4 ton loads, almost new 460 engines which are getting harder to find now, both are being sold as is for engine, transmission and parts. 1978-1980
F150 is 4wheel drive and has been lifted a good 6-12"... (I don't know how much but it is like mt climbing to get in!)
Both have been parked in the driveway and not started for awhile and well neither of us can drive so they need to find good homes. (and help us pay some bills!)
PM if interested in more info or buying.
Take care guys and again PM if you need something.... I just won't be online much as there is to much work/life going on at this time.

What color legs does your "Sussex" have? Certain lines of the Bradshaw birds are producing feather-shanked offspring. It's something to watch for/breed out if you're breeding for type/show.

What color legs does your "Sussex" have? Certain lines of the Bradshaw birds are producing feather-shanked offspring. It's something to watch for/breed out if you're breeding for type/show.

I think yellow but will double check tomorrow and let you know or tonight :D

I checked... it has white legs not yellow.

Last edited:
My parents' dog, Bailey has been found!!
wee.gif
After 10 days on the run!

She was 13 blocks from my parents' house. She was in someone's backyard (not fenced) and she had dug under the deck. The guy heard her howling the last few nights and finally went out late last night and found her...brought her in, fed & watered her and then called my parents at 6am this morning. He has a chocolate lab, too!

Poor Bailey stunk to high heaven, was very tired and thirsty but glad to be home!

The best part, this hippie dude that found her didn't want a reward. He said that knowing she was home with her family was the best reward!!! :) It is good to know there are still people like that around!

Sorry for the bad pic---my mom took it with her phone. Yes, Bailey's eyes are THAT red. Poor thing probably didn't sleep for 10 days!

YEAH! Nothing worse than a lost pet:(

A Q? please. How far from the wall should the roost be? Or, what distance have you found to be acceptable for your birds? Thnx

depends on the bird size you have.
But the basic answer is enough room from the wall that they don't bump head or tail on the wall.
The best for a mixed flock is a "ladder" roost type. One rung down low kind of center of coop, up and over about 18"up 18" over in a ladder fashion...
Like this one from another byc user racuda..... (just did a google image search for ladder chicken roosts)

I find that with a mixed flock you will have a hen or 2 that do not follow the "norm" in my case I have a girl who 'roost' on the floor now... I think she fell off one night and never went back. I have a couple that roost on a platform and the rest roost on the roosting bars.....

A Q? please. How far from the wall should the roost be? Or, what distance have you found to be acceptable for your birds? Thnx
I do about 10" from the wall and then every 20". While I know a lot of people do the leaning ladder style I found that it didn't really work as well for my birds. See it is natural for them to try to roost at the highest point. Therefore MY birds spent too much time/effort arguing over the "best seats in the house". Once I set it up so all roost are on the same level bed time goes much smoother.
This info is simply provided based on my own experiences. One thing that I think all will agree is make sure the roost is higher than the nest boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom