Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
My English Orps have the fan blowing on them right now. My husband was ck on them and said it was so funny they came running for it and they are all standing there with the wind in their hair oh ok feathers..
Its hot out here I can tell you that was 100 in the shade 3 hr ago..

I'm interested and getting in getting Chickens next spring and I live in Redmond, Washington!
D.gif

Question for those of you on the west side of the mountains: did you insulate your coop walls?

Thanks!

Jennifer
No I didn't! I am actually saving up all of my plastic feed bags. I am going to line the walls of my coop with them to seal in any cracks that the wind might get through this winter. I also need to put a new roof on. Right now I have corrugated plastic - it cracked when I put it in, and I plan on replacing it with plywood.

Question for those of you on the west side of the mountains: did you insulate your coop walls?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Why would we insulate our coops? It NEVER gets hotter then say 70's
he.gif
. BTW its almost 20:30 here in Graham WA and its now down to a cool 88 degrees... work sucked today(I work outside)
!

Last edited:
Look at the giant egg Scarlett laid today!! On the egg scale it's a large! For a 20 week pullet that ain't bad! The other was Ethel's from this morning :) I'm just so eggcited!

Those of you waiting till spring to get yours here is something to think about................
If you can get ready in the next four months then by the time it's warming up for prime egg laying time I believe in the long run you'll get more eggs.
Get them April May by the time they start laying you going into winter and some times they will not get that great egg laying start.
I've got mine in spring and fall and probably stick with fall.

No I didn't! I am actually saving up all of my plastic feed bags. I am going to line the walls of my coop with them to seal in any cracks that the wind might get through this winter. I also need to put a new roof on. Right now I have corrugated plastic - it cracked when I put it in, and I plan on replacing it with plywood.

Hrm, I was thinking of using corrugated plastic on the pen. It won't get much rain since it'll be under the deck, and more light would be a plus. Does it usually crack like that? Is there another roofing material that lets light in?

Why would we insulate our coops? It NEVER gets hotter then say 70's
he.gif
. BTW its almost 20:30 here in Graham WA and its now down to a cool 88 degrees... work sucked today(I work outside)
!
Ick! I just can't take the heat anymore. I've been huddling inside with the AC on since I got home and cranked it up in the car this morning. I used to work outside when we lived in Texas, but I've lost all tolerance. You have my sympathy!

I was thinking more of the winter months. The coop will now be on the SW side of the house. The fence will help, but usually that's the exposure that gets the most wind and rain. I was going to put a window on the West side that could be closed in the winter. Should I put year-round ventilation on the leeward North side? The coop is supposed to have some all the time, right? To help with humidity and airflow?

Hmm, another plus for the location. There is a power outlet right where the pen will be!

Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom