Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This is my two youngest Silkies who are currently enjoying some time outside now. DH and I bring them in every evening. Sometimes the Seramas are out there, sometimes it's my new Silkie girl I picked up from Catdance a couple of weeks ago. They take turns. Some have gotten so used to the routine now that when I open the little door, they stand and wait for me to pick them up and bring them in. We all get a little cuddle time then...
smile.png
Say, those two Silkies look vaguely familiar.
big_smile.png

I like your ex pen. I have one that the hatchmates of your babies use, but it has no cover.

They should - you're their chickie mama! They're doing great BTW. Turning into little snuggle bugs.
love.gif
The porcelain has very nice type to my untrained eye. The buff is much smaller which seems odd to me, but she appears quite healthy Right now it's looking like they're both girls!
fl.gif

Good job hatching healthy, happy chicks Robin!
jumpy.gif

Dave - the more I think about it, the more I think you're right. Could she have been dropped by a hawk? That would cause some pretty severe internal injuries right?

That doesnt sound right. You'd see puncture wounds from the talons, and she'd most likely be able to slow her fall with her wings.

/shrug -- Without witnesses we'll probably never know.

We've had a few chickens in the past come down with a mystery illness that is always fatal. Their neck starts to twist and curl back and they can't walk. Eating and drinking are very difficult and become impossible after two days or so. They're just so out of it and lethargic, and not just because of inadequate food. Does anyone know what this could be?

I have actually considered using our covered X-pen to bring a few girls out at a time to the front yard when we're home to supervise so that they can enjoy some actual greenery.

I'm not sure what an X-pen is, but I use my little 2' x 8' PVC pipe chicken tractor to let my girls weed in the front flower beds. I have also used it to have them help me clear up some ants nests that have appeared. It works great! Granted... I only have three birds to move though. I can't imagine trying to do that with a larger flock.

Oh ok thanks for the perspective...I will not be asking DH to rip out all our massive Rhodies when he gets home then
tongue.png

Rhodie leaves are pretty thick and tough. Of all the poisonous plants you listed, they are not likely to be the culprit. I have Rhodies in my back yard, too. My birds use them for cover and they'll dig around beneath them for bugs. I have been trying to cut the lower branches off though, to create more of a canopy, and to reduce the likelihood of anyone deciding to try taste-testing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom