Wasted Feed.....

ChickenAnnie,

First, so you know where we part ways, I DO NOT believe that large farms are destroying the envirement. They manage their land better than you and I could ever know, becuase like I said before, it is their livelihood. Imagine how anoying it must be for these farmers having "city folk" moving in next door, pretending to be farmers in the evenings and weekends, while they have been doing it for a living for 30 years? Its just like that Bob P. paragraph said, people who haven't done things themselves generally don't know what they are talking about. Alot of the enviremental movement falls into this category.

There is an old saying my father in law says alot, "Take care of the land and the land will take care of you". So this is what they do, THEY are the real conservationists. Not us.

I have no problem with people who want to grow/buy/eat $5 tomatoes. But the minute you start trying to force that on everyone else is where I part company.

I know what you mean, all this from a feed question....wow.

-Jared

....one more thing,

Yes there is an emerging market for small scale organic stuff at local levels. However, don't take it too far, becuase it is the large scale farmer who feeds the world. Let's just be happy that us little "hobby farm" people can sell eggs to people who can afford them at $3-4/dozen and be happy. You start limiting the way farmers can farm, as some would like to do and suddenly ....."saving the Earth"= starving millions of people.

Just my 2 cents on the original topic........

On the rare days my birds aren't free ranged, they can get a little rambuncious in the run, and knock the hanging feeder around, dumping quite a bit of food. I just raise the feeder up the chain out of reach, and force them to eat what they dumped. When it's all cleaned up, I lower the feeder again.

Galaxie,

I did exactly that last night. Put the feeder up over night, came in this morning a whalla!! Clean as a whistle. Good advice.

Quote:
Jared -- a quick, late night response to your post. --
Please do not lump me into the "city folk" or "hippie-dippie environmentalist" category you seem to imply that i'm a part of. I assure you that I have worked on enough farms to have direct experience. I also don't think I was implying that we should force $5 tomatoes on consumers. I have argument with the idea that scaling up equals efficiency. We buy into the myth that "bigger is better" and I do not believe that is so. Even to feed the world... BIGGER agriculture is not necessarily the answer.

Back
Top Bottom