The Extras

chickmama2014

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I am trying to decide what I want to put my oyster shell, grit and egg shells in. I see this feeder on Amazon and like the idea of the lid and the divider. It’s like $34 which seems pretty outrageous to me but I can’t find anything like it for cheaper. Right now I feed them in small metal dog bowls that tip over to easy or blow over in the wind. What do you use? I like the little hang on feeders but know they will get full of water when it rains.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.png
    IMG_1291.png
    603.3 KB · Views: 45
I am trying to decide what I want to put my oyster shell, grit and egg shells in. I see this feeder on Amazon and like the idea of the lid and the divider. It’s like $34 which seems pretty outrageous to me but I can’t find anything like it for cheaper. Right now I feed them in small metal dog bowls that tip over to easy or blow over in the wind. What do you use? I like the little hang on feeders but know they will get full of water when it rains.
I use my empty chick feeders when they're not needed for chicks. If I do need them I find some dish laying around :).

I have this one for oyster shell and grit, and the chickens will NOT touch it. So I got $1 dog feeders from dollar tree. Problem solved.

It will not hurt oyster shell or grit to get wet but you do not want standing water. Whatever they are in need to drain if they get water in them.

The chickens don't care but some people do. I'd keep the grit and oyster shell separated. I made small open-top box out of scrape wood for something quick and easy and hung that on the wire fence so they could not flip it over for oyster shell. They find their own grit. I like the idea of easy and free.

Back
Top Bottom