Water belly draining emergency

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I have a leghorn that I’m fairly certain has water belly. She runs with a waddle, her abdomen is distended and a deep red. Her comb is turning dark. Her sister died from it last. For her sister I had been draining in with a syringe. Today I tried to drain this hen and she jumped after I poked her. I withdrew the needle quickly and she is bleeding quite profusely. I tried two more attempts to jab and drain but only was met with a suction on the syringe. She is bleeding quite a bit for a chicken from the first jab and I was never able to get ANY fluid off of her. Did I not jab deep enough the second time? Did I poke a major organ? Is it possible it’s a different type of problem causing the water-belly type symptoms? Like egg perintontis or cancer?

I wish I had the strength emotionally and physically to put her down. It’s been such an emotional strain on myself to be able to deal with this problems more swiftly instead of risking causing more harm than good 😭

Sorry you're going through this... I've been there and know how trying it is.

It's possible you just hit a larger blood vessel in the skin when you jabbed her, which is why she is bleeding a lot, but if no fluid is coming out, her distended abdomen could be from internal laying, cancer, inflammation etc. If her belly feels really squishy like a water balloon I think there is probably fluid buildup and maybe it's just getting thick, viscous and hard to draw out with the syringe. I wouldn't try to force it, particularly as draining is not a cure. If you think it could be peritonitis you could see if she improves with an antibiotic, but reproductive infections are quite hard to permanently cure in chickens and she sounds like she is already quite sick, so it may just be time to make peace with her coming death and let her enjoy chickening with her pals while she still can.

I know a lot people believe in putting down sick animals, and I'm not against it, but don't beat yourself up if you can't do it. Suffering is part of nature, part of life. (Helping terminally ill people die is controversial and they can clearly express their desires...) It's difficult to see the end, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to let nature run its full course. She's had a good life with you (I'm guessing 😉) and that's what matters.

N
Sorry you're going through this... I've been there and know how trying it is.

It's possible you just hit a larger blood vessel in the skin when you jabbed her, which is why she is bleeding a lot, but if no fluid is coming out, her distended abdomen could be from internal laying, cancer, inflammation etc. If her belly feels really squishy like a water balloon I think there is probably fluid buildup and maybe it's just getting thick, viscous and hard to draw out with the syringe. I wouldn't try to force it, particularly as draining is not a cure. If you think it could be peritonitis you could see if she improves with an antibiotic, but reproductive infections are quite hard to permanently cure in chickens and she sounds like she is already quite sick, so it may just be time to make peace with her coming death and let her enjoy chickening with her pals while she still can.

I know a lot people believe in putting down sick animals, and I'm not against it, but don't beat yourself up if you can't do it. Suffering is part of nature, part of life. (Helping terminally ill people die is controversial and they can clearly express their desires...) It's difficult to see the end, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to let nature run its full course. She's had a good life with you (I'm guessing 😉) and that's what matters.
She was a rescued ex battery hen. Seeing her blossom into a happy backyard chicken was a wonderful experience. Thank you for your input. Her sister was not euthanized but it took her two days to pass and was difficult to watch. I had finally asked for someone to help me and she passed before they arrived.

I do have antibiotics though that perhaps I could try.

Back
Top Bottom