water for ducks in winter???

Quote:
gig.gif

For years I just gave the big ducks a big bucket of very warm water once a day in the black rubber tubs. It was enough for them to preen once a day and this worked out fine (of course I only had 3 at the time too).

Now that I've got 6, I built a new pool https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=405350 and will be using a pump to keep the water unfrozen all winter long. They already love the pool and will swim in it with the pump on too although it hasn't been cold enough in Central Mass to keep it running 24/7 but that time is coming...

Last October I got a pair of australian spotted ducks and for winter, I gave them a galvanized tub that sat on top of a galvanized waterer heater. Once a day they got a bucket of cold water (it heated up to just above freezing on top of the heater) and that worked just fine for them too.

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How warm does the water stay? How much were they? and were can i get some? I have a 9x16x18'' pond that has a 330gph pump going but i will need something else to help keep it unfrozen

Last edited:
Hmm, i might look into those just to make sure they have water just in case the pond freezes over but i would really like to find something to keep it unfroze. I have the stock tank deicers but there wore out and im afraid that they will electrocute them so before i go out and buy another i was just looking for something maybe better or even cheeper. I doubt i will find something that will, but i think it would be great if i could find something that kept the water "warm" in the midst of winter.

Last edited:
I'm from northwest WI and I'm trying something new this year for my ducks. Last year I just used one of those large heated dog dishes. But only one duck fits in it at a time. I happened to have a small plastic stock tank laying around (maybe 50 gallons) that I've built a ramp for and they love it! I bought a sinking stock tank deicer for it, but it was 1500 watts and after some research I discovered that is more suited for 150 gallons of water. So, I'm going to try a 500 watt. I hope there are no issues with electricution. My husband brought up that point last night. I'm not sure how often I'll have to clean/refill it. That will be a chore and will leave an ice rink in thier pen for sure. It's interesting to hear what other people are doing.

I did find something at Tractor Supply that was supposed to keep the water warm. I'll have to take a second look at that too.

My pump is a 1600gph pump. If you go to my thread link (above) it shows a copy of it. My pool is about 300-350 gallons. This particular pump was recommended by the manufacturer for this specific application. It is a utility pump that will run 24/7 and use low wattage. No concerns about electrocution there.

Quote:
No, I don't mind at all. That's good info to have/share. I paid around $83 for it and special ordered it through the contractors desk at Home depot. The salesman at the manufacturer explained he could sell me one but it would be less expensive going through Home Depot so that's what I did.

It took about a week from the day I placed the order. If you are going to go this route be sure to order the specific pump model # I did. (See post #5 in my link for model #) They manufacture another pump very similiar in style/model # but it has oil in the workings which is dangerous to waterfowl (again according to the salesman at Pentair).

Last edited:
Thanks, my pond is approximately 605.9 gallons so the 330gph pump isn't doing to much, just circulating the water. but theoretically it pumps the whole pond every 1 hour 48 minutes. So i will have to save my money again and maybe take mine back and get the one like yours.

And since your model is the FP0S1200X it pumps 1/6 HP which is approximately 1200 gph and if i got the FP0S3000X model which is 4/10 HP it will pump approximately 3000 gph

and you just ordered it at home depot?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom