water in coop

poultryman84

Songster
9 Years
Oct 24, 2014
Quincy IL
With all the rain we have had in west central il I am getting water seeping up through the dirt floor in my coop. I have not had a problem in the past but want to solve this issue. My coop is 12X24 and I have 30 chickens in it, it has a dirt floor. My run is 40X24. The water is literally seeping up from the floor in to coop. I'm thinking about raising the floor with 6" of sand..... would this help? I also have considered adding 6" of wood chips from township. (they are free) Does anyone have any ideas?

Both my coops flood, almost every time it rains! I've had one coop that we literally needed to bail the water out of with buckets! It had a dirt floor as well. The other is concrete but has a leaky roof.
Sand is a good idea. I would put the sand down and then put wood chips on top of it. You could also try raising the level of dirt outside of the pen so that the water slopes away from the coop.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Landscaping the area so the water runs away from the coop is the best plan. You may need to put in somesondage tile also. Sand and wood chips are going to be a disaster.

I've never tried sand and wood chips, so I wasn't sure. I just let the rain go into my concrete pen so I never have to clean it.
tongue.png

However, there are little chicks that could drown in my dirt pen, which is why I worked so hard to keep it from flooding.

Are you able to trench or bury drain tile around your coop and run? IMO, the sand and wood chips won't correct the problem.

Our coop is a wood floor raised a few inches off the ground but our run has the potential to take on water, we have a trench around the run and have had no water problems. The trench isn't very deep or wide, hardly noticable, but does the job. We've had a lot of rain this spring and summer but the run has stayed dry.

Back
Top Bottom