water poop, barely eating or drinking

araceli

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
It's been a week now and I am at a loss for what to do. My happy energetic Valentine has been spending the day sitting on her own, low energy, barely eats or drinks. She gets up at the end of the day and eats a tiny bit and drinks a bit. She does get up when I open up the coop to let the girls out and she then moves to my porch. Her poop is clear watery with the white streaks. Not egg bound. I am afraid she might of eaten what was a poisoned wasp nest that was about 2-3 inches in diameter last week. That's all I can think of. Clearly I have to get some vitamin, nutrition, and hydration into her system. She's lost weight. Can they be like this for this long a survive? What can I do? No other symptoms, no fowl odor, no droopy comb. Even her eyes look sweet. Today is the first time all week I've her make sounds.

Sorry your girl is not well.
Unsure what to say if it is the wasps, that she has ingested or been affected by.

Have you considered these very simple remedies before?
http://hencam.com/faq/diagnosing-a-sick-chicken/

I have a sick chick presently too, so I am searching for some pieces of the puzzle for her. She did look more promising this late afternoon more she has for three days now. I think I have observed sick signs sooner than previously. Tomorrow will be another page in the story. Trusting for recovery for both our girls.

Njoy Life.

I went to the pet store and bought live meal worms. I also opened her beak and fed her the smallest amount of tomato w/sea salt. Unfortunately she has been declining for 7-8 days now. She had interest in the worms, took one in her beak and ate that one in the smallest bits at a time, so it took long to eat one worm. She had second and the third she killed and left. Maybe her throat hurts? Maybe because of dehydration? I also bought at the pet store some vitamins for the water, for birds that are ill. I just pray with all the time that has passed (8 days) it's not too late. Though she seems not better today, definitely declining. A farmer once told me chickens take the longest time to die. Unsettling. So maybe if they take so long there is a chance to save them. Oh and she normally loves to be picked up, today when I pick her up she makes sounds like one who would be aching in pain. Checking out the sites you have sent me, Thank You! I do appreciated all the help and feedback I can get! Let's get out chickens well!!

I am fustrated because I know all she needs is food and water and she won't take. I think her throat from not drinking and eating makes it hard to swallow so she loses interest all together. I just offered her a meal worm and she won't even look at. It's been a long now, she still walking, slowly. Oh if I could only give I.V. to hydrate her.

The back of her comb seems to be losing it's warmth. But it's more red today which I am not sure if that is good or bad. The last one that died one morning, I checked her and her comb was ice cold, she died within moments. I just gave Valentine some drops of water which she did not care for. Part of me wonders should I just leave her in peace. She does seem peaceful.

It's just torture watching her. I went to give the girls treats of broccoli and celery, she actually got up and walked over to where we were interested. Touched her beak on the celery and changed her mind. At this point I don't think she actually has an illness, she has just gone too long without eating and drinking. Again, I wish I could just give her an I.V. It breaks my heart because I know that's all it is and she just cannot get herself to eat. She is the one in the back on my profile pic.

Last edited:
I am fustrated because I know all she needs is food and water and she won't take.  I think her throat from not drinking and eating makes it hard to swallow so she loses interest all together.  I just offered her a meal worm and she won't even look at.  It's been a long now, she still walking, slowly.  Oh if I could only give I.V. to hydrate her. 

Do you have or can you get IV fluids? If so, you could give her sub-q fluids.

-Kathy

The back of her comb seems to be losing it's warmth. But it's more red today which I am not sure if that is good or bad.  The last one that died one morning, I checked her and her comb was ice cold, she died within moments.  I just gave Valentine some drops of water which she did not care for.  Part of me wonders should I just leave her in peace.  She does seem peaceful.   

Can you put her some place warmer?

-Kathy

We are in Texas and it is warm. Actually in the last week she has been sick it has been hot hot hot. Last night was our cold front, which in some places may be a joke. It was in the 60's. It's in the low 90's now, being a cold front and all. Now she is walking around gently scratching for food I suppose. I have offered her live grub worms, banana, strawberry, a seed mix and water. She looked interested, she kinda swallows (barely) as though she wishes she could eat it and then chooses otherwise to not eat it. So I am confused about scratching around. So far every early evening she actually livens up a little bit and walks around like she is looking for food. This is the first I see her scratching around. Thanks to any who have listening as I have been pouring my heart here. This little honey has to make, but I don't know how.

One of my Doctor friends says I.V. have to go in a vein. ???? Besides, I have no fluids for that. I'm gonna look on Craig's list for chicken vet since I haven't had luck with google..
Please keep the suggestions coming on how I can get some form of hydration into her system along with nutrients.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom