Waterer for Goose Pen

carolynm

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Bailey, CO
My geese come in at night so they don't fall prey to predators. Their pen is a soggy disgusting mess due to them stepping/tipping/playing in their water pan. What would you suggest for an inside waterer? I did use a 2 gallon bucket but believe it or not a goose almost drowned in it; I walked in one day and she was stuck upside down with her head in the water. How she did I do not know, but the bucket was removed that day.

I'd leave them without but sometimes I bring them in around 2:00pm and won't let them out until about 8:00 am. I think that's too long to go without.

Will geese learn to use a nipple waterer? I'm wondering if I could use that inside and then give them access to a tub of water while outside?

My geese come in at night so they don't fall prey to predators. Their pen is a soggy disgusting mess due to them stepping/tipping/playing in their water pan. What would you suggest for an inside waterer? I did use a 2 gallon bucket but believe it or not a goose almost drowned in it; I walked in one day and she was stuck upside down with her head in the water. How she did I do not know, but the bucket was removed that day.

I'd leave them without but sometimes I bring them in around 2:00pm and won't let them out until about 8:00 am. I think that's too long to go without.

Will geese learn to use a nipple waterer? I'm wondering if I could use that inside and then give them access to a tub of water while outside?
Are you feeding them inside too? Short answer is Ducks (should be the same, as I haven't gotten my geese yet) are fine with a nipple waterer--but still very messy as they constantly clean themselves. If their eating inside, they need to be able to submerge their beak to clean out their nostrils.

A good way to absorb the water after they spill it everywhere is putting some wood shavings around your waterer. I have a plastic tub that is about 3-4 inches tall for a waterer.

We lock our ducks up inside without food or water at night. They do fine. Our geese sleep in a 13x13 pen at night and get a small amount of food and a 5 gallon bucket of water. We've never had issues. Not sure what happened with your goose. Was it full grown? I've seen some duckling and goslings do some weird things, but I have never had issues with the adults (other than a duck going for a swim once). They would be fine without food or water at night and it would be cleaner.

Not sure what happened with your goose. Was it full grown? I've seen some duckling and goslings do some weird things, but I have never had issues with the adults (other than a duck going for a swim once). They would be fine without food or water at night and it would be cleaner.

Goose he got stuck was a few months old.

My problem with leaving them without water overnight, is I also feed them when I bring them in for the night, and so need to have water available. I'm tempted to put that bucket back in but hate to tempt fate. I may try a bucket with a lid with hole cut out the side.

Back
Top Bottom