Waterer nipples with 5 gal. Bucket reservoir help

robisonfamily7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 2, 2012
Houston, TX
Okay, I found the perfect waterer, it is this one:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/supremo-waterer

I just need some help on the fittings to get to make the bucket to pipe connection not leak.
There is a Home Depot 5 min from my house:D, so I am going to go get the stuff soon. I know it needs a rubber o ring on both sides, but beyond that...I'm lost. If anyone has anything like this one with PICS ( I am a very visual learner ) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dman

Edit: See my post below for what I decided on.

Last edited:
I had a VERY hard time making this kind of system leak-proof. We used it for about 6 months but in the end I ripped it out. All the pvc pieces had to be glued together to stop any leaking at the joints making it not very useful if you have to take it apart and clean it. With the fitting coming out of the side of the bucket, it was almost impossible to get it leak-free because of the rounded side of the bucket not taking the o-ring well. I ended up installing just the bucket with nipples hanging from the bottom of it. This way I can clean it, add antibiotics or ACV to it if I want and not have to flush out a bunch of pipe. And, it was much less hassle.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Gotta agree with 5Leepy. If I was determined to do this thing I'd make the pipe come out of the bottom of the bucket rather than the side. But I'm into simple and practical so I just screwed the nipples into the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and set it on a concrete block, the nipples to one side. It's against a wall so I have the bucket handle hooked on a nail for extra assurance that it doesn't tip. I used the ultra cheap nipples I found on eBay and they don't leak at all, had this for a year now.

By the way, another thing you have to watch when putting nipples into pvc pipe is that they aren't going into a flat surface so they'll leak too unless you use teflon tape on the threads.

Last edited:
I have made most of my own watering stuff but you can buy full systems premade at www.beaktime.com
They have answered a lot of questions for me when I was working on my 2 liter waterers and I did not even buy them from them.
An important thing they told me is that if you are sealing anything, make sure it is potable so you not contaminate the water.

Quote:
you need what is called a bulkhead fitting to go through the bottom. The rest is just PVC fitting and PVC glue.

Exactly what you need. Sort of like this. Flexible hose allows for separation to clean. Sorry, I couldn't get pics to post this time. If you don't want the reservoir directly above the drinking fountain don’t connect the rigid PVC to the bottom of the bucket directly. Do this by adding a couple of barbed plastic fittings and a length of tubing between the bulkhead fitting and the PVC pipe assembly. On the top of the PVC pipe assembly, use a slip-to-thread coupling instead of a threaded adapter. Secure the tubing using pipe clamps. Use electrical conduit clamps to mount the pipe and hanging fountain. This modification will allow you to mount the bucket outside the chickens area making it easier for you to fill.
The flexible hose, secured with clamps isolates the bucket from any twisting or torque exerted by the chickens.

ETA
I felt responsible for completing the pictures. I finally found the website with the information I was referring to:

http://www.quietthymefarm.com/chicken_fountain.php

Last edited:
I had a VERY hard time making this kind of system leak-proof. We used it for about 6 months but in the end I ripped it out. All the pvc pieces had to be glued together to stop any leaking at the joints making it not very useful if you have to take it apart and clean it. With the fitting coming out of the side of the bucket, it was almost impossible to get it leak-free because of the rounded side of the bucket not taking the o-ring well. I ended up installing just the bucket with nipples hanging from the bottom of it. This way I can clean it, add antibiotics or ACV to it if I want and not have to flush out a bunch of pipe. And, it was much less hassle.

Good Luck!

I took a fitting from Home Depot that was in the brass section of plumbing, (I believe this fitting was supposed to be to a water heater...)
The fitting has threads on the non spout side. I drilled a hole in the side of the bucket that just allowed the threads in, but stopped the welded metal nut.
Then I twisted this metal ring thing (below) onto it and hammered it tight.

when this ring was snug against the side of the bucket, I twisted it more. when i was sure it couldn't go any farther, i screwed a threaded piece of PVC onto the remaining threads to snug it up further. (Below)

And then, I gooped the whole thing with lots of caulk on both sides and let it dry in the sun for 2 days.

Then I made a short hose to my nipple system pipe, and Tadaa! No leaks at all. (and I have had it pressurized for 4 days)

Quote:
By the way, another thing you have to watch when putting nipples into pvc pipe is that they aren't going into a flat surface so they'll leak too unless you use teflon tape on the threads.

I Got mine from Farmtek. They were the push in kind They came with rubber grommets :) no leaks!

So, my whole idea has literally held water for 4 days so far. with no leaks whatsoever.

Thanks For the Ideas!

Dman

LOL thats useful another thing, I made a (redneck) shower like that
it worked great in the summer. Outside. used a 32 gl. garbage can, ran a hose to top for filling.
Then let the sun heat the water. lol my husband loves hot showers, he said sometimes it was to hot.
just wanted to share..

I have a rain water collection system on mine and used (2) push in nipples and (1) screw in nipples from QC supply. I used each kind just to see what I liked best and to me the push in style was much easier and had no leaks. The screw in one I had to add teflon tape to stop the leaking. I also added 3/4" pvc couplers and on/off valves from Home Depot to my system so I can remove sections of it for maintaining or cleaning. It has rained alot hear in the NW so before a rain I drain a couple gallons out so the rain will refill with fresh water. I also add ACV to mine. I have had this set up for a month almost now and love it. The pic is from when it was new and I think I had to much pressure so the valves were leaking some and the chickens had to "chug" the water coming out because it came out in a hurry. I also discovered the leak in the screw-in nipple and resolved that with the teflon tape. You can also see the couplers in the vertical section of pipe. I put 2 in there because my plan was to put a longer or shorter section as the chickens grew but stepping stones were much easier. I have since painted all the pvc dark to cut down on any algae growth. Overall I love it, and the chickens seem to also.

Back
Top Bottom