Waterers. You fav?

I have the Miller Mfg. Little Giant shown above for about 5 years in the 3 gallon size (It's the predecessor to this one) & have never had a problem. I also used one years ago & had no problems. You can also buy spare parts to the (the caps & rings) at least you used to be able to. I have had the same one with no replacement parts for over 5 years.

I actually use two large dog bowls and put a few ice cubes to keep it cold all day long and fill it up with water. I read that chickens will drink less water if its warm. And at night I fill up a one gallon galvanized waterer to put inside there coop bc when it gets dark I lock them in there coop till morning to protect from predators. I would use chicken nipples but I read in multiple articles that they won't always drink as much water with those

Thank you all! I wound up with a couple of the 3.5 gal Harris waterers like the 5 qt ones I already had but bigger. They're a little cumbersome but not too bad.

The youtube was really interesting but doesn't tick my "not fiddly and easy for a farm sitter" button.

We've used Harris Farms EZ-Fill Drinker, 5 gal., and Harris Farms Drinker, 3.5 gal. Both work well, and allow us to freeze milk jugs filled with water and place them in the waterer when the heat gets above 95 degrees or so. -don't know what your climate is like, but these stay cool well.View attachment 1445603 View attachment 1445604
Problem for me can't hang it. Liked the wire handle but became bruttle and cracked across top so leaked out before I locked the coop.

I actually use two large dog bowls and put a few ice cubes to keep it cold all day long and fill it up with water. I read that chickens will drink less water if its warm. And at night I fill up a one gallon galvanized waterer to put inside there coop bc when it gets dark I lock them in there coop till morning to protect from predators. I would use chicken nipples but I read in multiple articles that they won't always drink as much water with those
Frozen watermelon rinds are a favorite in the summer and really anytime.

I use the old school metal fountain and some old nutrient buckets. When its hot I usually have 3 sources for them 2 with regular water and one bucket with electrolyte. I have not found a plastic watering device that I have loved yet.

3 ft long, 3 or 4” piece of pvc pipe, cut 1/4 out. Cap both ends. If u got running water, buy a 1/2” float valve. It will keep the pipe full. My ducks drink out of it too. Personally i collect rain water in a 5 gallin bucket which pipes to the capped end.

Back
Top Bottom