Watery droppings for months?

Chickworld

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
I have one leghorn hen a few years old, who was laying fine until she started having very watery droppings. They seem to vary in color, but always very watery

Of course, she has stopped laying completely and has continued to have watery droppings virtually non-stop for many months now. She eats fine and seems to have reasonable energy although she is rather thin (I think most leghorns tend to be on the lean side anyway). None of the other 9 hens in our backyard (pets) flock seem to have picked up her problem, as yet.

I have tried a number of medications. I thought it was coccidosis, so I tried something for that (can't remember what it was though). That didn't seem to work. Then I thought maybe its was worms, so I tried piperazine (or something that sounded like that). That didn't seem to do the trick either.

Any thoughts on what I should try or re-try (Maybe I did not administer the other drugs long enough). I hate to see her with a soggy bottom every day and no doubt its not good for her in the long run.

I recommend doing a fecal float test and finding out if she has some kind of worm or parasite. Many wormers are made for just one or few types of worms so you may not have used the right one for what she has. Once you know what you've got- then you can dedcide on the right course of action

Good luck
Sandra

She needs to be checked to see if she has an internal infection from a virus or bacteria. E-coli will cause what you are seeing along with several other things. A vet should be able to check a fecal sample and tell you what you are dealing with.

I will add 1 tsp ACV to my chickens water a 21/2 gallon plastic water container and to some rice from my rice cooker along with DE. Very inexpensive 16 oz $2.60 32oz $4.60

Many herbalists recommend the use of raw, unpasteurized, unheated, organic apple cider vinegar as an important dietary ingredient for humans, farm animals and pets, including birds. The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care describes apple cider vinegar in this way: "Long a folk remedy, cider vinegar has been shown to improve the health of dairy cows, horses, dogs and other animals. It reduces common infections, aids whelping, improves stamina, prevents muscle fatigue after exercise, increases resistance to disease and protects against food poisoning

I use Bragg Vinegar, Igredients: Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Contains the amazing Mother of Vinegar which occurs naturally as strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules.

Information:
Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is made from delicious, healthy, organically grown apples. Processed and bottled in accordance with USDA guidelines, it is Certified Organic by Organic Certifiers and Oregon Tilth; and is Kosher Certified. Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is full of zesty natural goodness.

Apple Cider Vinegar has been highly regarded throughout history. In 400 B.C. the great Hippocrates, Father of Medicine, used it for its amazing cleansing and healing and energizing health qualities.

Some INTERNAL BENEFITS:
* Rich in enzymes & potassium
* Natural antibiotic germ fighter
* Fights E Coli and other bacteria

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom