wazine - can i hatch the eggs?

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
i think i need to do a round of worming. i havent seen any worms, but its been so rainy and wet, and i recently had two chickens die. they got very lethargic and combs nearly shriveled up and within days of eachother, dead.
of course other have started laying so ive been collecting eggs to hatch, if i worm with wazine, i know i cant eat any of the eggs for what is it, 30 days? but can i hatch out the eggs still?
thanks

eta: is there a better more broad wormer out there i can use that is safer to eat eggs or hatch?

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because I have a broody hen and used wazine 3 weeks ago. I then followed up with ivermectin 10 days later. I'd love to save eggs for her to hatch but I am worried about deformities.

i think i need to do a round of worming. i havent seen any worms, but its been so rainy and wet, and i recently had two chickens die. they got very lethargic and combs nearly shriveled up and within days of eachother, dead.
of course other have started laying so ive been collecting eggs to hatch, if i worm with wazine, i know i cant eat any of the eggs for what is it, 30 days? but can i hatch out the eggs still?
thanks

eta: is there a better more broad wormer out there i can use that is safer to eat eggs or hatch?
There's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal with wazine. If the bird is good to eat then, so are the eggs. Yes, you can hatch the eggs.

So....ok to incubate the eggs? Do I need to worry about deformities? Lowered hatch rates? I've read through several threads on this topic and there seems to be some debate on the issue. Can anyone provide further clarification?

I'd love to know if there's anything I have to worry about hatching wazine eggs because I wormed my birds and now I've got two broodies sitting on eggs...bless their hearts I dont want to take the eggs from them if I don't have to but I'm also kind of leery about the wazine negatively effecting the development.

I'm supposed to be donating hatching eggs for educational purposes, but I wormed with wazine about a week ago. I don't want to go ahead with my donation at this time if there is a high risk of deformities or a failed hatch.

I just found this thread, so I'll move my post here. I have a similar question.

I wormed my flock with wazine 11 days ago. In those 11 days, two of my hens went broody. The Buff Orpington is rather confused, she moves from nest to nest to sit on different eggs, or moves to a nest with no eggs. In time, will she snap out of this behavior on her own? I don't really want her to hatch any eggs.

On the other hand, my 6 month old Silkie has gone broody and is being super faithful to her one little egg. I really wouldn't mind if she hatched it, because I would like to see what the chick would be like...if the egg is even fertile (but I've seen my easter egger roo with her) BUT, the wormer would still be in her egg. Would it be bad to let her continue to sit on the egg even though it hasn't been the full 14 day withdrawal time?

Thanks in advance :)

Rebecca

thanks

That's a really good question

I de-wormed with wazine and my silkie hatched a perfect little chick. Nothing abnormal at all.

Back
Top Bottom