We clearly haven't tried everything. But we're at the end of our rope. Your advice, please.

FourHensNoPens

Chirping
Jan 7, 2022
'Midnight' is a less than one-year-old Black Copper Marans. We've raised her, together with her three 'sisters,' Safire Plymouth Rock greys, since they were one week old chicks. As early as the first week after returning from the local Wilco, Midnight demonstrated issues. Kept in the garage in a 4 ft x 24" trough under a heat lamp, the slightest noise would trigger her to hide below one of her sibs. She was frequently vocal, letting out that rapid low-volume chirp that, we understand, telegraphs stress.

Within two months, we built a coop and moved the four birds into our suburban backyard. We're surrounding on three sides by other houses separated by a six-foot-high wooden fence. All within earshot of the yard. A few months later, we were forced to build a Run as the birds were destroying pretty much everything: potted plants, new and older vegetable plants in our raised beds, etc. The Run is pretty huge for four birds. As the birds grew from pullets to adults, Midnight changed her attitude. No longer was she the shy one of the four; now she became the most vocal, frequently screaming -- yes, screaming, no other word for it -- whenever she wanted anything and seemingly for no reason at all. We soon discovered that when she was let out of the Run to run free around the backyard, she quieted down. But a day later (we would return her to the Run and the coop at night), she was back to screaming. Bribing her with lettuce and cabbage buys us about half an hour of peace. She comes right up to us, frequently hanging out at the back door, waiting for the next handout. She's very responsive this way but will not allow anyone to touch her. She gets very skittish if we reach for her without food in our hands.

We've adjusted our schedule to be at the Run and let the birds out of the coop by 6 a.m. every morning. Later than that, she starts screaming. We let her out of the Run and for half an hour, sometimes an hour, she wanders around pecking at anything she finds and seems to be content. Then the screaming resumes. This is not -- not -- a scream of pain. We do not suspect anything is physically wrong with her. It's more of "I'm here. Feed me!" or "I'm here. Let me back into the Run so I can lay an egg." or "I'm here. And I just want you to know about it!" type of scream. But maybe we're projecting.

We've tried Benadryl. The wife has tried CBD oil. The results have been short-lived, like less than a day. We're thinking perhaps mild, low-dose antidepressants? If that even a thing for chickens? Is that even advised?

What are we doing wrong? And what would you do, short of giving her away to a larger farm, before your neighbors have you cited?

WE ARE OPEN TO ALL ADVICE.

Thank you for considering this plea.

We're desperate.

Cheers,

Ralph S.
Petaluma, Calif.

P.S.: While not pictured, we have since added a light, beige, canvas tarpaulin across the roof that you see on the Run. It provides shade but lets some rain and light through.

Attachments

• hhhhh.png
    hhhhh.png
    812.7 KB · Views: 13
  • hhhhhhh.jpeg
    hhhhhhh.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 6
  • hhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpeg
    hhhhhhhhhhhhh.jpeg
    739.6 KB · Views: 7
I only see three reasonable choices:

--Ignore her. Leave the chickens in the run, tend them at appropriate intervals, and just put up with the noise. She may quiet down, but I'm guessing she will continue to be noisy. The only real difference would be how much your life revolves around managing it.

--Rehome her (but not to someone with close neighbors.) Some chickens just are noisy, and the only real "solution" is to have them live where the noise does not matter.

--Kill her (butcher & eat for dinner, or euthanasia by a vet). This is guaranteed to make her quiet, but has some pretty obvious disadvantages.

In this situation, rehoming the noisy hen is probably the choice that pleases everyone best (owners, neighbors, and hen.)

Some hens are just NOT quiet. Livestock is that way.

She may be slightly spoiled and has learned that the more boisterous she is, the more attention, treats, goodies, etc. she gets. But, she may just be one of those noisy hens that is going to be noisy. I have a hen that on days she gonna lay an egg, I get to hear her talk about it for a couple of hours before hand. The other hens and the roosters talk about it too. When she lays the egg, she really talks about it, this gets everyone stirred up again. Yep...a good 5-6 hours of clucking, screaming, cackling, roosters crowing, some screeching, growling...all part of a delightful day of chicken keeping.

I don't suggest that you try any type of drugs, antidepressants or medications. If the noise is intolerable, then perhaps rehome her with a buddy so the transition goes smoothly. Be sure to tell whomever is interested that she's boisterous and not quite suited for suburban life.

--Kill her (butcher & eat for dinner, or euthanasia by a vet). This is guaranteed to make her quiet, but has some pretty obvious disadvantages.

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I got to the last part of that sentence.

Personally, I'd invite her FOR dinner, but that's how I rock 'n' roll. I believe that you can raise a chicken from hatch date to dinner table and still show them kindness, respect and even love, making their life the best it can possibly be until that final moment.

I only see three reasonable choices:

--Ignore her. Leave the chickens in the run, tend them at appropriate intervals, and just put up with the noise. She may quiet down, but I'm guessing she will continue to be noisy. The only real difference would be how much your life revolves around managing it.

--Rehome her (but not to someone with close neighbors.) Some chickens just are noisy, and the only real "solution" is to have them live where the noise does not matter.

In this situation, rehoming the noisy hen is probably the choice that pleases everyone best (owners, neighbors, and hen.)
Hmmm, well then; there you have it! I guess you're right: Option #2. Thank you for weighing in. So, um, antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds are no prescribed? Then again, I guess my spouse and I could try a few. ;)

So, um, antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds are no prescribed?
I'm not a vet, but I think most medicines work differently in birds than they do in mammals. So medicines designed for people or dogs would likely have different effects if you tried them on a chicken.

Also, trying to fix a problem like anxiety or depression only works if the problem exists. It sounds to me like you have a normal, healthy chicken who is just loud. So trying to make her quiet with medication might cause new problems, like a chicken who doesn't bother to squawk, but also doesn't bother to eat (that's a made-up example, not one I know for sure. I'm just guessing about the possible effect of a medicine that might cause a chicken to be quieter.)

Last edited:
Good point. Was worried about the same thing. If I could hang on long enough before the spouse gives her away, I was thinking of a basic Conditioning approach: like, every time she screams, a sound-activated strobe light goes off for a few seconds to distract her. Eventually, she makes the connection. My wife finds this to be a little bit too over-the-top. But I would hate to see her go. The chicken. Not my wife. Well, I'd hate to see her go, too.

'Midnight' is a less than one-year-old Black Copper Marans. We've raised her, together with her three 'sisters,' Safire Plymouth Rock greys, since they were one week old chicks. As early as the first week after returning from the local Wilco, Midnight demonstrated issues. Kept in the garage in a 4 ft x 24" trough under a heat lamp, the slightest noise would trigger her to hide below one of her sibs. She was frequently vocal, letting out that rapid low-volume chirp that, we understand, telegraphs stress.

Within two months, we built a coop and moved the four birds into our suburban backyard. We're surrounding on three sides by other houses separated by a six-foot-high wooden fence. All within earshot of the yard. A few months later, we were forced to build a Run as the birds were destroying pretty much everything: potted plants, new and older vegetable plants in our raised beds, etc. The Run is pretty huge for four birds. As the birds grew from pullets to adults, Midnight changed her attitude. No longer was she the shy one of the four; now she became the most vocal, frequently screaming -- yes, screaming, no other word for it -- whenever she wanted anything and seemingly for no reason at all. We soon discovered that when she was let out of the Run to run free around the backyard, she quieted down. But a day later (we would return her to the Run and the coop at night), she was back to screaming. Bribing her with lettuce and cabbage buys us about half an hour of peace. She comes right up to us, frequently hanging out at the back door, waiting for the next handout. She's very responsive this way but will not allow anyone to touch her. She gets very skittish if we reach for her without food in our hands.

We've adjusted our schedule to be at the Run and let the birds out of the coop by 6 a.m. every morning. Later than that, she starts screaming. We let her out of the Run and for half an hour, sometimes an hour, she wanders around pecking at anything she finds and seems to be content. Then the screaming resumes. This is not -- not -- a scream of pain. We do not suspect anything is physically wrong with her. It's more of "I'm here. Feed me!" or "I'm here. Let me back into the Run so I can lay an egg." or "I'm here. And I just want you to know about it!" type of scream. But maybe we're projecting.

We've tried Benadryl. The wife has tried CBD oil. The results have been short-lived, like less than a day. We're thinking perhaps mild, low-dose antidepressants? If that even a thing for chickens? Is that even advised?

What are we doing wrong? And what would you do, short of giving her away to a larger farm, before your neighbors have you cited?

WE ARE OPEN TO ALL ADVICE.

Thank you for considering this plea.

We're desperate.

Cheers,

Ralph S.
Petaluma, Calif.

P.S.: While not pictured, we have since added a light, beige, canvas tarpaulin across the roof that you see on the Run. It provides shade but lets some rain and light through.
You are buying into her noise she knows when she yell you come to the rescue. Simply if you know they have everything ignore. She social and wants you to know it she likes her humans and wants you to spend time you might have created a monster lol....

I heard that rooster collars can be used on hens too. No experience with using on either. Just something that popped through in my research.

Back
Top Bottom