We got a puppy

Quiggy

Chirping
Apr 27, 2020
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering if anyone had tips for good websites or teaching methods for keeping our new puppy uninterested in hurting my chickens.
Shes a German Wirehair Pointer, which I realize are bird dogs. But I've read are one if the best for having chickens. The breeder has three and they're all wonderful with their chickens, and our puppy responds to tone of voice well and has only hurt one chicken(it wasn't severely hurt at all it was walking a couple minutes after) in the month and a half we've had her.
No website gives good puppy training tips only adult dogs who have a bad problem. Any tips will help so much, thank you!
-Q

Ask the breeder?
Keep the pup leashed around the chickens until it's fully trained(could take a year or two).
ETA: Basic obedience comes first.
Have you ever trained a dog before?

Last edited:
Pictures!!!!

I really recommend Zak George's Dog Training Revolution. He has tons of videos and a great book for puppy training, fixing behavioral issues, and tons if fun tricks. Though I don't think he has a video about this he covers a lot if other very useful things.

Be sure to teach her leave it. This is one if the most important thing to teach a puppy. To do this, set a treat on the ground. Keep your foot near. If course she is going to go for the treat, so when she does just put your foot over it and say "leave it". Then reward her with a (different) high value treat. Boiled chicken works great.
Do this a couple times a day. Keep it short and fun. Start with 5 minute training sessions. You could do three a day.

Never ever use leave it in something you instead for her to have afterwards. Some people tell their dog to leave their food while they put it down. Do not do this. This will teach her that she is supposed to eat what you tell her to leave. Imagine you drop a pill on the floor and tell her leave it. It is very important for her own safety that she does not eat that. Or with chickens.
When you are training her do it in a voice that you would use in those situations. While I recommend using a happy voice for most other things to make it more fun, in this case you want her to be used to the voice that you would use in real situations.

The best way to fix issues is by preventing them. Always keep her on a leash when outside by the chickens. If you notice her looking at them a lot redirect her. It's normal for puppies to be curious about new things but if they become too interested they may cause after them. Tell her to leave it and teach her to look at you (Zak Geoge has a vidoe on this). Use this whenever you see her staring at the chickens. And reward her a bunch. Use high value treats for this. If she is toy motivated, use her favorite toy instead of treats.

You want her to ignore them completely. Reward her when she does so and redirect her when she doesn't.

Some people use clickers to signal that they like what their dig is doing then reward them, but IMO carrying around a clicker all the time isnt very practical. Intrade say "yes" . I prefer "yes" over "good girl" because often times people will say good girl or boy when meeting or oettibg a dog. And usually the dog will he excited and probably jump up and bark a lot. That is not something you really want to reward them for. Then they'll think you want them to jumo and bark. So instead, "yes" is a much better option.

Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps! Good luck!

Ask the breeder?
Keep the pup leashed around the chickens until it's fully trained(could take a year or two).
ETA: Basic obedience comes first.
Have you ever trained a dog before?
Oh yes I have. We have 3 other dogs, they are all well trained with our animals. shes just our first puppy. And we're doing basics with her, and she's responding well. I was just thinking for my own peace of mind to add this in.
Also one of our older dogs is a coonhound+German wirehair mix and he took a while to train but is great with the birds now. I just wasnt sure how I should go about with a puppy.

Last edited:
Pictures!!!!

I really recommend Zak George's Dog Training Revolution. He has tons of videos and a great book for puppy training, fixing behavioral issues, and tons if fun tricks. Though I don't think he has a video about this he covers a lot if other very useful things.

Be sure to teach her leave it. This is one if the most important thing to teach a puppy. To do this, set a treat on the ground. Keep your foot near. If course she is going to go for the treat, so when she does just put your foot over it and say "leave it". Then reward her with a (different) high value treat. Boiled chicken works great.
Do this a couple times a day. Keep it short and fun. Start with 5 minute training sessions. You could do three a day.

Never ever use leave it in something you instead for her to have afterwards. Some people tell their dog to leave their food while they put it down. Do not do this. This will teach her that she is supposed to eat what you tell her to leave. Imagine you drop a pill on the floor and tell her leave it. It is very important for her own safety that she does not eat that. Or with chickens.
When you are training her do it in a voice that you would use in those situations. While I recommend using a happy voice for most other things to make it more fun, in this case you want her to be used to the voice that you would use in real situations.

The best way to fix issues is by preventing them. Always keep her on a leash when outside by the chickens. If you notice her looking at them a lot redirect her. It's normal for puppies to be curious about new things but if they become too interested they may cause after them. Tell her to leave it and teach her to look at you (Zak Geoge has a vidoe on this). Use this whenever you see her staring at the chickens. And reward her a bunch. Use high value treats for this. If she is toy motivated, use her favorite toy instead of treats.

You want her to ignore them completely. Reward her when she does so and redirect her when she doesn't.

Some people use clickers to signal that they like what their dig is doing then reward them, but IMO carrying around a clicker all the time isnt very practical. Intrade say "yes" . I prefer "yes" over "good girl" because often times people will say good girl or boy when meeting or oettibg a dog. And usually the dog will he excited and probably jump up and bark a lot. That is not something you really want to reward them for. Then they'll think you want them to jumo and bark. So instead, "yes" is a much better option.

Sorry for such a long post but I hope this helps! Good luck!
This was incredibly helpful, thank you! I never thought about the leave it command with this, and not rewarding them with what they are "leaving". 2 of my other dogs know leave it but I'll have to re-teach them that!
And I have her clicker trained, so that will be very helpful.
Its funny you mention Zacs channel, I used him for potty training and a couple tricks with my older dogs! Hes awesome with training!
Thank you so much again. And here is a picture of miss Agnes(the puppy) in all her mischevious glory 😄

Attachments

• 20201219_090935.jpg
    20201219_090935.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 8
Oh yes I have. We have 3 other dogs, they are all well trained with our animals. shes just our first puppy. And we're doing basics with her, and she's responding well. I was just thinking for my own peace of mind to add this in.
That's good, then you know how.....just gonna take time.
Don't let her 'get into trouble'.
She's beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom