We have a possum

I let me dogs to chase a possum. Don't think the basset got it. No, he actually slept 12ft away in the dog house , letting the darn thing eat his food. I had to let a pug!!! out to scare it, after that Copper came to investigate. Possum wasn't harmed, they sniffed it a bit and then I took them into the house. Possum waddled off a few minutes later. But now that we have livestock I would shoot it. Hubby just bought me a new 2.000.000 candlepower monster flash light, I use it for shining into the woods at night to check for raccoons and other nasty critters. .22LR right beside me.

Best bait for the money is a Remington 870 at 10 yards, that way you don't have to be a really good shot

Personaly I prefer a good side by side. 20ga but a 12 will do.
wink.png

Catch it. Feed it left over veggies and fruits for a few days. Then stew it. They are fairly docile creatures. They make a menacing sound, but usually won't attack you.

My husband saw it the other day.  While he's big on talk, he didn't kill it.  I saw it yesterday.  He's a pretty big guy-but I've never seen one before him so I'm not sure if he's actually big for a possum.  I don't know anything about them.  He looked so yucky, slow and stupid, I didn't want to let the dog out on him.  I don't want my dog actually chewing on anything nasty.  

I looked it up and this guy will eat my chickens & eggs.  Crap.  So now I'm going to set a live trap out there.  What do I bait it with? Anything?  Do possums fall for traps?  We didn't have any of these animals (and so many others I see out here) in the city lol.

I have caught many a opossum using sliced apples in a live trap, fyi u may accidently catch a rabbit but u will get opposum with apple, remember if u relocate it u may be contributing to someone elses problem.

all jokes aside , a few years ago i shot one, thought it was dead, and was cleaning it after skinning - the heart was still beating- freaked me out.

The old trapper trick is to whack them on the head with a stout stick. Put the stick across their neck. Stand on the stick grab the tail and pull until you here a pop. The neck breaks and the end of ole grinner.

Jus caught a baby one. I was after the neighbors cat who keeps coming over and upsetting the chickens but got a possum by accident. I think we will release it. Our chickens have never been bothered except by this one cat. Any reason we should not just release it again?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom