We have a Raccoon Problem :(

LostGosling

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2011
We have a young coon that keeps killing our chickens. It killed a crippled hen first, and then it killed my grandmas favorite rooster. It was back again at 4:30 pm today, but it was chased off before it killed anybody. It won't stop coming back, and it's going to get one of my breeders or pets if this keeps up. Grandma won't kill it because it's just hungry and has no where else to go. But, we don't have a live trap. We don't know were it lives at, and the only time I ever see it is when it's in our barn killing our chickens. The thing is, it almost seems tame. It's not scared of people, and I know exactly why. My uncle used to feed scraps from his fridge to the wildlife at night. Every night, all those skunks, opposums, and coons got fed table scraps(possibly since their childhood). Now, he's never home, so all those baby critters who grew up not having to hunt don't get fed anymore and are really, really hungry. This raccoon is apparently the only one who decided to stick around and eat the chickens. How do I catch it before it strikes again?
hu.gif

Last edited:
raccoons are actually a very territorial animal. i would try either hanging up your own clothes to give off your scent or you could spread raccoon urine around the coop to imitate the presence of another raccoon and maybe the coon will stay away and if not load up the .22 magnum
lol.png

BE CAREFUL OF UNAFRAID COONS...it could very well be sick and rabid.Grandma and everyone else has to come to terms that coons and chickens don't mix.The chicken loses almost always..You must have your chickens locked down at dusk in a secured chicken coop, or simply expect more losses...Rocky raccoon will keep coming back until he has killed all your birds.On top off that, if you catch and kill the coon, another will replace it.Bottom line,secure your birds, or you will alway be upset with constant losses...Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom