We have to cull our roo. He's big. I'm not sure about the best method.

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
I've read a lot of posts about culling. Our 15 month old roo has turned really really nasty to both us and the hens. He has to go. We have tried to rehabilitate, but he is very violent. I don't think he's living a very happy life either. So, he's done.

I have never killed anything bigger than a bug. My husband has done a bit of hunting, but it's been quite a few years. I don't think that I'm nervous or squeamish, though that might change once the time comes. I would like to use the cone method, but this roo is really quite large and I'm afraid that I won't be able to cut his neck all in one slice. Also, even after reading all the posts, I'm not entirely sure exactly where to cut. Even though he is just an awful creature at this point, of course we want to be as humane as possible.

DH wants to dig a hole, put him in, and shoot him in the head. This sounds awful to me, but if he doesn't miss it would be a quick death for the roo. I'm not interested in eating him.

Thoughts? Advice?

Use a sharp hatchet and decapitate would be my method. Barring that - if your husband is a decent shot, shooting can work. Just remember, obviously, that the rooster isn't going to be inclined to STAY in the hole.

I had a roo that I was afraid to kill and got my hubby who is a good shot to shoot him. I had several roos to process but this fellow was mean and I just did not want to handle him. He wasn't as big as your bird either. He shot him in the head and I then cut off his head and processed him. I live in the country so shooting him was not an issue.

If you decide to do something else, I'd nab him while he was sound asleep on the roost and work fast but I'm not sure how easy it would be to cut off his head.

Quote:
Really do feel for you in this. You are better off going for the decapitation - it is quick and there is NO chance he will survive a botch job. It is sad he has turned out this way and isn;t a very nice chap. I had 4 roosters who would occationally fight eachother one the Maron boy would try to peck at my hands. I found that if I grabbed the offending critter by a BIG handful of tail feathers ( You need a big handful or you could drop the poor thing) Then I would upend them so they were dangling in mid air. They soon got the message who was boss in our Yard. I ALWAYS made a point of lifting the roo boys everyday and holding them that way they got used to being lifted and cuddled up. Two of them are now in a petting farm for kids and rare breed birds. The other two are being used on a farm for a breeding programme. - I think in order to get a really placid Roo boy your gonna have to work on a chick and handle it every day bit like training a pup but also same as Dogs you will always get one that is simply gonna be a nasty boy whatever you do with him. Don;t feel bad about this fellow he seems to just be one of those and you just don;t need that kind of Roo boy. SO do the kind thing by all of you and sharpen the hatchet. - Honestly don;t wast the meat HE IS A CHICKEN THEY ARE BORN TO FEED YOU!!!!! Your in my thoughts - don;t shoot it Hatchet its quickest and best. Get a culling cone if your worried about the flapping.

Oesdog
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

I had never killed anything bigger then a bug either, and my Husband is not a hunter at all. I have had 2 ness. culls, both injured hens. The first one I decided to use a cone and cut her neck just like I would if I were going to process (then I was going to use it as practice b/c I was considering raising birds for meat) That was a horrendous disaster that still gives me nightmares!!!! If you do that method use a made killing cone, do not use an orange traffic cone cut for the job!!!! I had a brand new sharp knife and still had to "saw" finding the veins wasn't hard just slice the entire neck, but be prepared they will watch you kill them I wasn't warned about that or ready for that emotionally. The second one I taped the wings w/ duct tape and used a hatchet, she remained calm when lying flat, but she was severely injured. It was still a horrible experience I never want to repeat, but not nearly as nighmareish as the cone/knife had been. Be aware of the need for good aim though. If I ever have to do it again I would do the hatchet, and I would get a little toasted first, not sloppy falling down hammered, just enough to take the edge off.

Good luck. Hope it goes better for you then it did for me.

Quote:
Thanks for the hugs. I have nothing against eating him, but I have never processed a bird before. I'm a teacher and it's the last week of school and finals and all that...between homework and kid activities, we don't really have a good chunk of time to process a bird for another week and a half! I need this bad boy gone before then.

It's the weirdest thing because he was an absolute doll as a chick and he was a very gentlemanly and friendly roo up until maybe 3 months ago. We have tried all the recommended techniques. Perhaps if I had a whole bunch of days in a row to devote to it...I don't know. But he has injured me and drawn blood. We have 3 kids, including one who is disabled and would not stand a chance against this guy. It's really too bad because we just loved him so much until he went all Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on us!

And @Kassaundra, thank you for sharing that it is harder to slice than one might think. That is precisely what I'm afraid of. I don't believe for a minute that you just get a sharp knife and slice their neck. I'm horrified at the thought of chopping and sawing away like an idiot while the bird suffers. I think my husband's plan is a good one at this point. Dig a deep but narrow hole. He'll be ready with the gun. I'll drop the bird in the hole and get the heck out of the way. I feel there is some chance for screwing up, but DH is a pretty good shot and after reading the helpful responses, I think we have the best chance of a quick dispatch for our boy.

I don't like killing stuff, even the biggest punk of a chicken I ever met.
sad.png

BTW, he is the middle chick in my avatar. Used to be such a cutie...

Last edited:
Broomstick method is pretty quick, eaisy & bloodless...

Get a boom stick, place the birds head underneath the stick on the ground, hold the stick with yer feet, & quickly jerk the bird up high to sperate the skull from the spinal column...& oh yeah...I'd feed him a nice months worth o' pure corn prior to death, cut him off 24-48hrs prior to his culling, & you should have yerself a nice lil' tastin' bird...

Whatever you use, just be sure it is SHARP. Hatchet works good for a lot of people though because they really don't have to be super sharp to work good enough. I used a darn sharp knife to process my first hen and I was surprised that it took as much pressure as it did, even though I was cutting between the feathers and not through any. I didn't have to do any sawing or anything though, it just took a bit more pressure than I expected.

PS - the broomstick method should work too, but I'd think it would be easier to botch. At least for my aunt it did. There is a favorite family story about her trying to kill her first chicken. She hates it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom