We Love Camelids!

littlesparrow11

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2015
Vermont
Anybody out there have alpacas? I have 4, and I just love them
love.gif

Last edited:
I don't know. I think the teaching techniques will probably translate at any age, just might take more reps for the older ones who are set in their ways.
That is true. At least for mine.
big_smile.png
Before I even started actuly showing I tried diffrent llamas. One of which was older and he did fine. Its just I didin't have the connection with him than I did with my Doc. In short, as long as the llama trusts you, you should be great.

Doc's Dad:

Doc a couple years ago:

And yes, we do have a thing for red heads

I have given them some horse treats in the past but haven't with the newer ones. Gaining the trust is truly the hard part with older ones. I can halter them all and I am going to get my hubby to help me construct a kind of chute that I hope will allow me to work their feet. Some of them really need a trim and we have GOT to sheer this spring.

What do you guys do with your fiber after you sheer?

By the way, Doc and the girls are gorgeous!
After I sheer I send the fiber to a small, family owned company that turns the fiber into roving and yarn. I then make stuff with it or sell it.

OHHH, I have already had the full spit experience. I understand that they do it if they feel threatened or afraid but I have one girl who got all bent out of shape at me the other day and I have no idea why. I wasn't doing anything different than usual but she was not a happy camper. I am never really sure what to do when they do that. I know I don't want to back down, so I usually just try to stay put and take it so I don't reinforce bad behavior by leaving, which is what they want you to do.

I had a heck of a time when we got the first two and it took me a while to figure out why but here's the story:

We got Sonora & Ladyhawke first. We had them bred before we picked them up. They had been in a herd of about 50 plus or minus most of their lives. When we got them home, they spent a couple weeks stareing over the back fence at the cattle herd across the street. I coaxed them in with feed and now they almost trample me when it is feeding time.

Ladyhawke was VERY defensive and would spit frequently when I would get close to her. The breeder said this was unlike her, she had been a show llama, demonstrations, around kids, all kinds of stuff, so I thought I was really doing something wrong. I tried really hard not to crowd her and just spent a lot of time trying to be near her so she would accept me.

During this time, I began to notice odd things that she would do and I finally figured out that she has a vision issue. The breeder was unaware of this and I honestly think Ladyhawke was unaware she didn't see well until she was removed from the herd. She has adapted well and now has the pasture pretty well mapped out but will sometimes lose the other llamas if they walk off from her but she is able to rejoin the group, it just takes her some time.

After she had Denalli in the spring, she has calmed down a lot. I think her stress was a combination of losing her herd, being in a new location, realizing she couldn't see, being with a single llama who is very independent, and being pregnant and hormonal.

Now she is a total food hound but I can lead her about anywhere with a bucket of feed. When I halter her for a walk, she is a bit reluctant to go far from the others. That is something I want to work on with all of them when the weather warms. Hopefully next week.

Add Llamas to the thread and maybe we can get others in!!! If you and I keep talking, others might notice.

Crazy boys a couple weeks ago They have shelter but decided to play in the snow.

wee.gif
Yeah! Camelids!

Nope they are not related. Meet the herd:

Ladyhawke and Sonora - the first two we got. We had them bred but only Ladyhawke took.

Denalli with mom last spring.

Poteau is the new boy we got. Gelded and now Uncle Poteau is babysitting Denalli.

Flaming Star.

Star's mom Shaboom.

Denalli will be a year old next month. He has grown fast. He is very curious. That is one of our cats, Chupacabre (Chupe for short.)

Hello everyone! I have a llama named Doc, who I show for fun. He got 1st in breed and reserve in performance last year at the county fair! I started showing him as a Baby, some 5 years ago. Seince then he has really improved.

Hello everyone! I have a llama named Doc, who I show for fun. He got 1st in breed and reserve in performance last year at the county fair! I started showing him as a Baby, some 5 years ago. Seince then he has really improved.

Hi! That is great. Maybe I'll get some training tips from you! All of mine, except the baby, were in a breeding herd and were not hands led much. I have no training experience so I feel very over my head some days. :th

Beautiful llamas Puddin Fluff! Love the name Shaboom
smile.png

Watermelon, that's awesome! I used to train and show alpacas for my in-laws' farm... the shows are a lot of fun!

Here are my ladies:

My baby, Amity

Sparrow

Melody and Lucy the llama

Melody again, with Raspberry (black) and Sparrow peeking out from behind the wall

Back
Top Bottom