We Love Camelids!

Marty McGee has some really good books and information. I have the same problem with all the videos, the llamas they are working with already look trained and not difficult. I had to get my herd accustomed to me as well. I can get them all haltered now but that is not to say they necessarily ask for/enjoy it but they tolerate me and we do okay.

Patience and a bit of pushing is good. That is the hard part for me, knowing just how far/ how much to push them out of their comfort zone without "damaging the relationship".

Each one is different and learing their personalities is a good start. Good luck!

So I'm going to start trying to halter train each of the girls, should be interesting. Ebony is always close by and is easy to catch and touch. Lola on the other hand, likes to stay an arms reach away. So I suppose I'll put her into one of the stalls to start catching her. Probably just start of with just that, walking up and standing next to her for awhile? Bride with treats? Then just putting the halter on her face, after a couple days of just being able to come up to her? Any one have experience with this? I have watched a couple videos by gentile sprit? (I think that's what they're called) and will probably watch them again though it seems the llama in the video doesn't mind being touched.

That method always works well for me- slow & steady. Once they are used to having the halter on their face, the real fun begins. Good luck!
smile.png

Just an update from 4-H:
Today my 4-H club had a fundraiser for second-harvest food bank. At Tractor Supply! You heard me correct, 5 hours in the store with so many little peepers staring at you with thair cute little faces. I had to resist the temtation, I went outside. I lasted through 2 hours before having to go back inside. There they were, still so cute I had to make a disision. My final disision was if I could get the house clean I will get three, only three (My TSC Knows I rescue and will give me less if I pay for more).
Challange Accepted!

Just an update from 4-H:
Today my 4-H club had a fundraiser for second-harvest food bank. At Tractor Supply! You heard me correct, 5 hours in the store with so many little peepers staring at you with thair cute little faces. I had to resist the temtation, I went outside. I lasted through 2 hours before having to go back inside. There they were, still so cute I had to make a disision. My final disision was if I could get the house clean I will get three, only three (My TSC Knows I rescue and will give me less if I pay for more).
Challange Accepted!
fl.gif
Chicken math at work.

Thought I would be doing some work outside today but the rain has moved in, sooooo. indoor chores

Sorry Puddin Puff, I don't do the shearing. My dad does it.
hu.gif

First practice back form winter break was yesterday. Spat on once, my brother kicked twice. Spent an hour herding 3 llamas.
barnie.gif

All in a days work I guss.

Thanks for the reply. Thank goodness for YouTube. I found a video that explained correct tension on he shears. I knew it was something to do with the setting that was causing me problems, just didn't know what. Ladyhawke was very patient with me and she is 2/3 naked now. I will tackle the front 1/3 later. It isn't perfect shearing but not too bad for a first go. Sonora is next on the list. I expect a little spit from her, we'll see. Both her and Lady are getting a head to toe shearing. They are very matted across the back and we just need to start over.. My husband wants me to leave a Mohawk on one of them.
th.gif
Maybe I will.

Back
Top Bottom