Weakness followed by sudden death. 3 chickens 1 turkey & 2 geese DEAD

marathonmultiplesmom

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Chehalis, WA
Hi, I have a chicken coop area with a large run. None of those chickens have been dying from this. But neighboring their run is our small orchard where there were 11 geese, 10 cockerels and a turkey hen. The geese live there because they clean up the orchard but the turkey was "Christmas" and the cockerels... we were waiting for them to get bigger and didn't have any other place to put them. So, one day I go out and 1 cockerel is dead, the smallest goose is dead and 1 cockerel is barely dead and was dead by the next day. Week or so goes by and the turkey is not behaving like her normal self. She sleeps a lot, standing up. Doesn't respond when called. Next day is weak and cannot stand. Next day she's gone. A couple days later. Didn't notice anything weird. Did a head count and one goose was missing. Walked around and found her sitting on an empty nest, dead.

My observations...

So, by coincidence, all the birds that have died were hatched THIS year. None of my older birds have been sick or died.

Symptoms are weakness or sudden death

No injury

The birds are fed cracked corn, layer pellets and free range for bugs and fruit in the orchard. I also feed them dandelion when I harvest the root so not every day but on occasion. I also give them non-bread table scraps.
They have a big swimming tub and a bucket of fresh water which I refill daily

all the poop seems normal to me

The geese never seek shelter but there is a 3-walled structure out there where they can get out of the rain and break the wind if they want to go in it. I see chickens in there occasionally. Other than that, no shelter is provided for these birds. I used to leave open 3 pens that we have and the cockerels would roost inside one and there was an igloo and one has a grapevine covering so they would like to go in there and clean them up but I closed them off after separating the sick bird when the first 3 died. That whole area became really poopy. I threw down hay to cover up the poop but its been raining a lot so its still really messy in that corner near the pens.

I can't give you an answer but I would bring at least 1 to a vet to find out what killed them, poison? maybe they are eating something they shouldn't be that is growing? do you have neighbors that might not like them? I hope someone can help you out.

Have you checked for moldy food, bedding, or hay? This sounds like some sort of toxin. Botulism is one of the most common ones.

Matt

Last edited:
there was a bag of feed that had mold in it last month. I discontinued using that brand. I have another sick bird today. A cockerel. He is just "sluggish" right now. Still came for food and is hungry but he felt light when I picked him up (he let me pick him up! which is not normal for this bird)

So, I separated him into the pen and I also have a portable fencing thing that I used to close off 10-20' around the pen. Thats the area that is really trampled and poopy. I want to keep the healthy birds out of that mess.
In a couple mins I am going to go back out and put vitamins in all the birds water. I had a laying hen fly over her run fence and get into the orchard but hopefully she was not exposed to whatever is going around. fingers crossed on that one. I will be paying close attention to them and try and separate sick birds. I guess thats all I can really do for now.

hi folks, i wanted to add this...

my bird that was obviously sick yesterday seems to be recovering. I separated him and put bird vitamins in all their waters with some brewers yeast and through out some fresh fruit with some layer pellets for them and the sick one to have. I am still keeping my eye on them but this seems to be a good treatment so far.

Diseases won't cross all those species lines. You are looking for a toxin.

I used to have Muscovy ducks that appeared sick all of a sudden and would be dead by the 3rd day. I never found out what killed them either. No place back then to take them too but I only had one die at a time. Hope the rest do ok.

Quote:
I researched this and found that you are incorrect. Avian Influenza and Fowl Cholera are 2 examples of disease that will cross these species lines. Just respectfully informing everyone that this is not so.

Just to update, the one chicken recovered but the mortality rate is still astonishingly high.

I just today had another goose and chicken die. I examined them and all of the insides and organs in the goose looked normal.
There was some loose stool or diarrhea but appeared to be only on the last day of life as on the other days I observed solid chunks of white and brown poop. Some fluid in the body cavity but not a terribly large amount.
Some blood too but I might have caused that while opening the goose

Inside the stomach and gizzard I only found what appeared to be mushy grains.

The chicken had the same stomach and gizzard contents but I observed 2 small lesions on the heart and a bunch of pink foam off to the chicken's right side of the heart. With the chicken I am certain I did not cause the blood in the body cavity and found blood or hemorrhage around the heart and liver.

Both birds seemed to have watery fecal matter in the bowel.

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE???
Unfortunately we can not take any of the birds to a vet which is frustrating to me. This has to do with ownership issues and its just complicated to explain.

Back
Top Bottom