Weapon suggestion

I've killed more than 50 predators with my old single shot 16 ga. and I have never hit a chicken. By the way the barrel is only 19 7/8" long. Most of the preds took a load of#4 shot and the longest shot was 65yds. with 000 buck.

That's luck, not skill.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot20_3.htm

Lessons learned:
1. At close range, reduced recoil loads seem to shoot a tighter pattern. But the difference is small, i.e., 1 3/4 to 4 inches. As always, you have to aim a shotgun at close range. The patterns are tight.

2. At moderate ranges (20 yards), the loads had an average spread of around 9 to 17 inches. This is getting big enough that, unless carefully aimed, many pellets will miss a bad guy.

3. At long ranges, even 45 yards, you will miss with more pellets that you will hit with. The question might be, "Why would you shoot at someone at 45 yards?" Well, if he is at 45 yards and shooting at me, I will return fire. If a shotgun is all I have, I will use that. But understand that you will have a lot of missed pellets.​

Last edited:
You got a lot of advice about what gun to use - let me give you my opinion - first of all if a dog is coming into my yard and killing my chickens I will get rid of the dog - I will not tell anyone - I will trap it some way - either with a leg hold trap - a snare - or some other way - maybe you can even get it to go into an outdoor building - once you have trapped it then you can shoot it in the trap - a 22 into the head will do the job - then I would bury it - this way no body gets mad - the owner doesn't know what happened and you don't have to worry about that particular dog anymore - I say this because you mentioned that you are not fimilar with guns - so to try and shoot it while it in your yard isn't going to easy for you - also I don't know how close other houses are to your yard - the safest way is to trap it first - and remember if you shoot at the dog and only wound it - it will go back home and the owner will find out that someone shot it - and then what happens - just do it quietly - the there is another way - you can poison it with antifreeze - I mentioned this once before and people jumped all over me - but animals are poisoned all the time by game commissions -
hit.gif

I can agree to the trapping, just not footholds, esp if he has close neighbors, dogs, or cats, cause you have to set a foothold either on a well made path, or use some sort of attracting bait, same goes with poisin, you almost have to catch the dog then give it the poisin for that to work or youll kill every dog, cat etc.. around. remember once a bullitt leaves you cant bring it back, with poisin you cant bring it back, but with the trap you can at least let it go. and who ever killed the 50 predators with the shotgun good job, thats skill not luck, its harder to get a predator esp. with a shotgun, then anything else, I love to hunt yotes, but they are some hard critters to hunt,
As far as a shotgun and patterns get one with a removable choke, so you can adjust your patterns to your pleasing

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes guess they would ,poison the way you are doing is ILLEGAL.....legal to shot a dog after you birds in most state.....bet not one is legal to poison a dog....guy around here was sent away for a few years for doing so.

plus also should not be posting about doing something illegal on here....breaking forum rules with that.

Last edited:
Going to suggest something a little different as far as caliber goes. For Lightweight, low recoil and terminal balisitcs, you cannot beat a 243 Winchester. There are several bullet options ranging from 100gr to the new Hornady 58 grain varmit round that sizzles at over 3900 FPS. The ammunition is readilly available just about anywhere.

If you have a decent scope and a .243 Win. if you see it, its gonna have a bad day.

you cannot beat a 243 Winchester

The OP isn't wanting to learn to HUNT predators

They merely want to shoot predators ATTACKING the birds.

A 22 is all that is needed for a beginning shooter, and it will take care of all the problems without being overpowered

Why make things harder than they need to be?​

Quote:

A 22 is all that is needed for a beginning shooter, and it will take care of all the problems without being overpowered

Why make things harder than they need to be?

That's right & the bullets are cheap. Still need to be very careful the bullet will travel along ways if you miss. The 22 is usually everyones first gun besides the BB gun.

We
Quote:
Yes guess they would ,poison the way you are doing is ILLEGAL.....legal to shot a dog after you birds in most state.....bet not one is legal to poison a dog....guy around here was sent away for a few years for doing so.

plus also should not be posting about doing something illegal on here....breaking forum rules with that.

Well - if it's illegal in southern Ohio don't do it - might be illegal to shoot a dog in some places too -but people are suggesting it - people have been poisoning coyotes for many years - also when there is a rabies outbreak in other animals - remember if you shoot a dog and you are not a good shot chances are very high that it will not die right away - especially if you use a caliber that is too small - using a 22 for this purpose is not adequate - you may just wound it - that is not a good way to go - maybe you would like it better if I suggested to blow up the dog with dynamite -
gig.gif

Quote:

Why make things harder than they need to be?

A 17HMR is better than a 22 and they dont cost that much more

Quote:

Well - if it's illegal in southern Ohio don't do it - might be illegal to shoot a dog in some places too -but people are suggesting it - people have been poisoning coyotes for many years - also when there is a rabies outbreak in other animals - remember if you shoot a dog and you are not a good shot chances are very high that it will not die right away - especially if you use a caliber that is too small - using a 22 for this purpose is not adequate - you may just wound it - that is not a good way to go - maybe you would like it better if I suggested to blow up the dog with dynamite -
gig.gif

..................MERRRY CHRISTMAS................

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom