weather

newchickmomof2

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2017
verona, new york
Hello all... I live in central NY. .... I have been raising some chickens indoors for winter.... I have two silkies about 8 months i think could go outside (still getting to 30s at night) but i also have 2 old english 3.5 months that i wonder if they would be ok? My other concern is they ate in a steady temp of 65 at all times now...... Would going out to 40s/50s at day n 30s at night be too much of a shock? Id love to get them outside but dont want to risk losing them!

Thanks for any helo!

2-1/2 months old? About 15 weeks? And some 8 months still inside? I regularly put 5 or 6 week old chicks in my unheated grow-out coop with temperatures that cold, but yes, mine are raised outside and have been acclimated. My grow-out coop has great ventilation up high and great breeze protection down low where they are.

Would going outside at that age shock them too much. Not at all as long as the coop had decent ventilation and decent breeze protection. They have been ready a long time.

If you do put a heat source, make very sure it cannot start a fire. Give them plenty of room to get away from it in case it gets too warm in there. They will not need it at all, putting a heat source in there would be purely for your benefit, not theirs.

2-1/2 months old? About 15 weeks? And some 8 months still inside? I regularly put 5 or 6 week old chicks in my unheated grow-out coop with temperatures that cold, but yes, mine are raised outside and have been acclimated. My grow-out coop has great ventilation up high and great breeze protection down low where they are.

Would going outside at that age shock them too much. Not at all as long as the coop had decent ventilation and decent breeze protection. They have been ready a long time.

If you do put a heat source, make very sure it cannot start a fire. Give them plenty of room to get away from it in case it gets too warm in there. They will not need it at all, putting a heat source in there would be purely for your benefit, not theirs.
for sure

Back
Top Bottom