Weed killer and eggs

estpr13

Songster
11 Years
May 18, 2008
Lexington, Ky
My neighbor put weedkiller all along our common fence which my hens have access to both sides. I was not aware of this for maybe a week or so. Would the poison affect the hens or their eggs? I have destroyed about two or three weeks of eggs and am wondering how long I should wait until eating them again?
hmm.png

Estpr13

Last edited:
Grrr... This kind of thing makes me so mad. People who use pesticides and herbicides often don't consider how it will affect others around them. :thun

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question, but I would like to know the answer as well. In my experience those who are not organic growers will always assure you there is no harm. I'm not sure anyone really knows the exact answer as it would depend on how much the hens ingested and when the weed killer breaks down, and that depends on which weed killer they used and weather it rained etc.

This is so sad. You must be worried about the health of your hens as well as the eggs. If you are still on talking terms with your neighbour I suggest you ask what weed killer was used and ask to see the instructions on the package. I hope that it was something 'pet friendly' but your neighbour needs to know that he must not do it again.

Estpr13, as suggested, you really need to find out which herbicide was used. Then, a phone call to the company may be enuf to provide you with the necessary information.

I don't think that we here on BYC can do much more than commiserate with you over this sorry event.

Herbicides are fairly nasty things. But, we need to realize that most of our farm soils are treated with these chemicals each year. Indeed, many of our food crops are directly sprayed with herbicides. More of this sort of thing is occurring each year with the advent of Roundup-Ready varieties.

I pass by an alfalfa field often. It was sprayed last Spring and again this year with an herbicide to kill the weeds invading the field. The stand of alfalfa looks terrible after this treatment. The 1st time, I was convinced that the farmer had deliberately killed all of the plants - then the alfalfa recovered and, for the most part, the invading weeds did not. That alfalfa was, of course, fed to livestock.

Manure from livestock fed plants that has been treated with herbicides can kill or stunt crops. Applying manure can sometimes turn out to be a real problem for a gardener or farmer who thought that the manure would benefit a crop. The result, dead and stunted plants, was not expected.

Herbicides can cause an increase in the nitrates in plants and that may result in poisoning. There's even the problem of herbicide-treated plants that are naturally toxic becoming more palatable to grazing animals. Yes, that's right. There's a plant that your animals shouldn't eat but don't like to eat. So you spray it and as it wilts, the animal decides that it tastes okay now. The result is that not only has the critter eaten herbicide but it has also eaten plants that are naturally toxic.

These events tell me a couple of things. One is that we better be a little more careful with these chemicals. Another is that herbicides are now everywhere in our food-growing environment. As to what this may mean for your hens and their eggs . . . I don't know. But, I'm wishing you the very best of luck.

Steve

Here's my pet peeve on this: If it's criminal to go to someone's house and vandalize their property, why is it not criminal to spray herbicide and pesticide, which most certainly will move onto neighboring properties and has potential of poisoning other people's air, water, soil, gardens, etc?

I'm talking about agriculture here. I live in a rural area but not far from a small town. It has been show through research that sprayed pesticides and herbicides can form "clouds" and move miles to suddenly "drop" onto another property if the conditions are right.

Just 2 days ago, my neighbor hired a company to spray his fields (it was a wind-less day). Well, when I came home for lunch the air at my house was thick with the odor. By evening I couldn't smell it any longer. Why is he allowed to pollute my place? It's not right, and our laws need to change to consider this as criminal. That would force agriculture to re-think how they grow crops.

I know an organic farmer whose business was ruined because the neighbor farmer sprayed chemicals next to his farm and he no longer could pass the organic standards.

Last edited:
Monsanto products cause Cancer and cases are being won continuously. Even under any other name if you dig deep enough you'll find that Monsanto is behind it all. What's that saying "give me control of man's food supply and you can do whatever you want with the banks and it's money?" Or something to that line. Yah Monsanto. he wants to control the world and tells everyone it's safe.. he takes over 200 year of family-owned farms due to overspray of seeding. claiming you are now raising his seed so he owns your crop. You'll farm it his way or he'll take it all from you..

Back
Top Bottom