Week old Black Copper Maran chick backed up

MartinsPoultry

Songster
Nov 3, 2016
Slanesville, West Virginia
We just got our first Black Coppers on Friday I noticed on the way home one had severe poopy butt I did my best to clean the area carefully to not harm the chick and after it was all clean her butt is swollen and red, I massaged the stomach and she is severely backed up. I have water in the brooder constantly with Nutri-drench and honey in it. I've applied coconut oil softened up to her bum to keep it moist and have soaked her but still no bowl movements in 3 days I am getting worried we will lose this little one. Please help

We just got our first Black Coppers on Friday I noticed on the way home one had severe poopy butt I did my best to clean the area carefully to not harm the chick and after it was all clean her butt is swollen and red, I massaged the stomach and she is severely backed up. I have water in the brooder constantly with Nutri-drench and honey in it. I've applied coconut oil softened up to her bum to keep it moist and have soaked her but still no bowl movements in 3 days I am getting worried we will lose this little one. Please help
Some chicks have internal issues we can't detect and won't make it.

I know that Epsom salt or Molasses can both cause laxative effects. Though I wouldn't normally do it for a chick and don't know dosage levels... might be an option for you to try.

Hope she recovers. :fl

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to chickens but have been trying to learn as much as i can. It seems on other threads with a constipated chick they recommend a little bit of coconut oil. Hope she gets better!

It sounds like a severe case of pasty butt, and I would keep working to get it cleared up. Do not withhold food, but add a lot of water into some feed in a small bowl, and change it twice a day. Try a 1/2 tsp of mineral oil mixed into the feed. You also may want to stimulate him to poo with a QTip moistened with vegetable oil. How warm is your brooder temperature?

Brooder is 90 in hot, 75 in cool and they move back and forth all day.
Will try to get some mineral oil.

The place we got her from the brooders were so hot i wanted to freak out and i could only imagine how the peeps were.

Back
Top Bottom