Week Old Black Copper Marans Chicks - Sexing by Feather color? Pictures added!

Hmmmm my second image didn't make it. Here we go.
[/IMG]

Thanks for the input. I am new
smile.png
as you probably gathered. See the difference in the comb on the one who has just the start of a little white on the chest and the other three who have considerably less comb? Those with the small comb have the cooper feathers .
[/URL]

The other photo didn't come through, but this is definitely a very cute little cockerel. I like his comb already, and he has a nice, wide head, and good width to neck- not a long thin crow head- very good signs. A wide head is often the sign of a nice, wide-bodied roo. Very desirable so far.

Just wanted to point out, really good roos are very hard to find in this breed-- they are like unicorns, sought but you have the occasional sightings just out of grasp, lol. lol So, when you get good roos they can be quite rare and valuable.

Repost your other photo and I'll see if I can tell you what is going on with them.

Hmmmm my second image didn't make it. Here we go.
[/URL]

Okay, the cute little cockerel for sure on left. You can see the beginnings of little shiny saddle feathers on lower spine. I'm going to need a better side photo of the others to tell for sure what they are. Do any of the others have these lower spine feathers like this or are the feathers feathered in and round edged?

What color legs (no feathers) should a BCM have?

The shanks should be medium slate gray to feet (not pale, black, yellow, blue or green.), and feet should be pinkish. (Very young birds may be creamy or pinkish when very young and change.)

There should be feathering down shank down outside end of toe to be a French standard BCM. The English standard has the same with no feathers.

What do you think? I am excited to see what happens. I do agree the little guy with the bigger comb is a male. Now.... The other three!

What do you think? I am excited to see what happens. I do agree the little guy with the bigger comb is a male. Now.... The other three!

I agree that these two have smaller combs right now, so cute! The strongly laced coloring on chest feathers makes me keep going back and forth- can these three be excessively mossy females? Just seems early to see so much color.

However, at this time I'm still SLIGHTLY leaning toward males (like my over-colored male that I showed you the photo of...) BUT, when they develop just a tiny bit more you should repost so we can be more positive. I thought I may have seen the beginnings of more saddle feathers there too on the other photo. These little ones just aren't developed quite enough in comb and wattles for me to be absolutely positive yet. However, I am very positive about the cockerel- and he looks good so far.

If the three end up also being males, I would probably stay with the dark juvie, or, if one of them only has about 10 chest spots (10%) or less of chest coloring when they are developed. Excess of color would not be best for breeding unless you are just creating an at home flock of layers. Same goes for if they are mossy pullets. The ladies should only have copper color in hackle. Don't know what your goals are, so if they are all just pets, they will still be lovely anyway, and none of that will matter.

The lack of leg feathering makes them English standard BCM, not French standard.

Thanks a million for the feedback . I'll post them again in a week and see what's cooking ? Lol uh, never mind I didn't say that :)

Back
Top Bottom