Week old chick with scissor beak

Yesterday I held her with it over corrected and she hated it, obviously hurts. So today I let her rest and it looks worse than before, so now I'm going back to just holding it corrected which she tolerates and naps while I hold her. If anything I'm hoping that this at least prevents it from getting worse since she can eat and drink still. Really do not want to have to put her down without trying, hoping it's a she too because of this condition should not breed.

Last edited:
Yesterday I held her with it over corrected and she hated it, obviously hurts. So today I let her rest and it looks worse than before, so now I'm going back to just holding it corrected which she tolerates and naps while I hold her. If anything I'm hoping that this at least prevents it from getting worse since she can eat and drink still. Really do not want to have to put her down without trying, hoping it's a she too because of this condition should not breed.
Awww, poor little thing...looking to the brighter side of things, and assuming she makes it to adulthood (yay!), you will probably need to provide her with feed at "beak height" so all she has to do is scoop feed in...I would stay away from pellet feed, stick with crumble. Same thing for her water, too. Happy thoughts headed your way today!!
frow.gif

Still hanging in there, definitely not growing as fast as the hatch mates. Ended up putting starter food in a shot glass and wetting it down until it expands out the top in a cone shape. Chick works hard at eating but I don't think it gets much and ends up wearing most of it. Hand fed chick eggs tonight and will see what she looks like in the morning. The scissor position of her beak seems worse, I didn't hold her much yesterday because I am fighting a cold, seems to get worse if I do not hold her in position 3-5x a day for 20-30 minutes each.

Poor you
sad.png
. Sorry about the cold. Hope it goes away quick. I know it is hard watching the chick struggle to thrive. That is why I did ultimately make the choice to cull ours.

I want you to know that you seem to have done everything you can, and then some for this chick. You are a good chick mommy!
hugs.gif

Still hand feeding chick 3-4 times a day and increased height of shot glass she seems to be getting more in and wearing less. We'll see how this goes for a couple more days, She does seem to have filled out a bit and is more energetic.

Still hanging on here with hand feeding and holding, I'm at home now and have the time to try this but I could see why culling would be best for most. I might be prolonging the inevitable.

Trying to upload a new image, the chicks beak is getting more crossed the older it gets, it is not growing as fast as the others. But seems to be healthy and active, so I'm not culling it yet. It did get wet food stuck to its neck and another chick plucked it and feathers off.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom