Week old chick with scissor beak

I'm out of things to try to help this little chick eat besides hand feeding which I think is the only thing keeping it alive now. I've tried deep dish and also raising food higher plus wetting it. Does anyone else have any tips or tricks?

Learning I am a complete softy, I cannot cull this chick even though I should she can't eat on her own. I tried the baking soda vinegar reaction as soon as I saw her gasping for air I pulled her out. It's not fast, they do not go to sleep and It seems to be similar to drowning which equals suffering in my mind. I almost think it might be more humane to feed her a dog tranquilizer first. So back to shoving food down her throat like a mother bird.

Just thinking, I wonder if you could tube feed her?
I totally know what you mean 100%! I have had to cull 3 or 4 chicks for different reasons and it is NEVER easy. No matter what the situation. My scissor beak also would not sleep. She was staying up all night trying to eat. She was much thinner than the others and ultimately just ended up in misery. Not something I can watch them go through. I always pray that I am doing the right thing and hope that no one judges me (and ultimately don't care when they do). I know that God has chose me to be a farmer, and sometimes farmers have to make tough decisions.
Good luck with your chickie. She has made it this far because of you.

We put her to rest today, she just couldn't eat and was getting frantic about it. I tried everything I could to help her out and nothing worked, the force feeding was traumatic to her too. Feel bad about having to put her to rest, gave her a bath yesterday and let her soak up the sun outside today before returning her to the maker.

We put her to rest today, she just couldn't eat and was getting frantic about it. I tried everything I could to help her out and nothing worked, the force feeding was traumatic to her too. Feel bad about having to put her to rest, gave her a bath yesterday and let her soak up the sun outside today before returning her to the maker.
So very sorry for your loss...you did everything you could for her....it's never easy...

I am sorry for your loss. We too have a chick with this condition, and as of right now she is doing okay. I am not sure if she will make it or not but I have been keeping a close eye on her.

As someone mentioned, as a farmer sometimes you end up having to make those hard choices because of their suffering.

The only thing I didn't try was tube feeding but I really think she was too small for it. I don't think they make a tube that small. Did try syringe and that was a disaster.

Thanks @kesca, I hope your chick figures out how to eat with it and it doesn't get worse. Makes me sad still but it's part of being an animal keeper, you have to do right by them or I feel I have no business bringing them into my care.

Thanks @kesca, I hope your chick figures out how to eat with it and it doesn't get worse. Makes me sad still but it's part of being an animal keeper, you have to do right by them or I feel I have no business bringing them into my care.
hugs.gif

Good luck with your chick kesca. Keep us posted please.

Back
Top Bottom