Weigh in on these 6 week old chicks - hens or roos?

kiwihunter8

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Hi all,
I have 5 chicks, some are a Buff Orpington/RIR cross, or Buff Orpington/Plymouth Buff (5 mixed eggs). Can anyone take a look and agree or disagree on my guesses on the sex of these birds? Roos are illegal in my neighborhood so I need to make arrangements for them.

Feel free to tell me you think I should wait longer on any of these birds to make sure.

Both the ones I think are boys have the weird shaped comb development and are more red. But it could be what I think is a roo could just be a rose comb development hen? Or it just so happens that the two roos are rose combers too?

I don't know what's going on with #3, she isn't showing much development either way.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Number three I would say is a hen. The others, with that comb and wattle growth this early, I would say may all be cockerels. The ones with the comb that you thought meant they are roos actually just have pea combs, which either gender can have :) However I would say both are cockerels.

Ugh, such a bummer :( I appreciate your experience! Anyone else want to weigh in?

I agree with pyxis # 3 is probably a hen But the rest are looking like roo's. When the waddle starts turning red at 6 weeks their almost always boys.

I also don't think they are what you were told. Both Orpington/RIR and Orpington/Plymouth should throw only single combs. Pea combs are dominant, but should not be present in the parent breeds. #3 looks like your only possible pullet.

Junebuggena, I had to look it up to see what you meant! I got the eggs from a friend with a mixed flock, so she may have forgotten or been misinformed which breeds she had.

I think they're rose combs, not pea combs. The momma hens look to be mixed breed birds themselves, so who knows what all is in the babies
smile.png

I agree the rose comb birds are male, but I wouldn't count out those other straight combed birds just yet. Give it until 8 weeks or so, post again then.

Back
Top Bottom