Weird growth in roosters mouth

margarita valentine

Songster
6 Years
Dec 27, 2017
New Jersey
Anyone know what this may be? It's a hard growth in my silkie roosters mouth. I didnt see anyone else with it. Thanks
1000016242.jpg
1000016241.jpg

It does look like canker. Wet pox can look very similar, but posx is more common when mosquitoes are alive spreading the virus. Have you had any pox in your flock since last summer and fall?

Canker usually smells bad. Do you notice a bad odor from the beak? It is treated with several anti-protozoan drugs, such as metronidazole (Aqua Zole online, Flagyl.) Dosage is 25 mg per pound for 5 days. Some people give 50 mg per pound. Do you have any pigeons drinking from waterers or puddles of water where your chickens drink?

It does look like canker. Wet pox can look very similar, but posx is more common when mosquitoes are alive spreading the virus. Have you had any pox in your flock since last summer and fall?

Canker usually smells bad. Do you notice a bad odor from the beak? It is treated with several anti-protozoan drugs, such as metronidazole (Aqua Zole online, Flagyl.) Dosage is 25 mg per pound for 5 days. Some people give 50 mg per pound. Do you have any pigeons drinking from waterers or puddles of water where your chickens drink?
I've never had pox in my flock. His mouth maybe smelled a little yeasty. It's possible pigeons or any wild birds came in contact with them, they free range.

So it doesn’t smell rotten? Yeast or fungal infection could also be the cause of the lesion inside the beak. That looks more white, I believe. A scraping by your vet could narrow it down.

So it doesn’t smell rotten? Yeast or fungal infection could also be the cause of the lesion inside the beak. That looks more white, I believe. A scraping by your vet could narrow it down.
It definitely didn't smell cotton. Vet testing is probably not an option unfortunately. I also noticed he has mites or some bug all over his comb/wattles/face.

That really looks yellow as canker looks. I might start treatment with the Aqua Zole. Mites can be treated with permethrin garden dust or spray. Treat every 7 days for mites, 10 days for lice, at least twice. Coop bedding should be removed far away or burned. and the coop should also be treated with permethrin spray. Combs can get gunk in them from not dust bathing but fungus can also grow there. Miconazole cream may help with fungus.

Back
Top Bottom