Strange growth

giwa

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2018
My chicken has this growth on a wattle. It is hard. Does anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• IMG_20231103_191409590~2.jpg
    IMG_20231103_191409590~2.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20231103_190038848~2.jpg
    IMG_20231103_190038848~2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231103_191508190.jpg
    IMG_20231103_191508190.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6
Is there just that one? Does it look like an infection inside, as in your chicken got a cut there and this is what happened? If so, I'd put some PRID (drawing salve) on it to draw out whatever's in there.

Otherwise, especially the picture on the right with the white powdery look around it, looks like it could be the start of dry pox. Here's an article a member wrote about it that might help. POX

Here's another POX article that describes the white lesions as a sign of it.

I hope your chicken gets over it whatever it is!

Is there just that one? Does it look like an infection inside, as in your chicken got a cut there and this is what happened? If so, I'd put some PRID (drawing salve) on it to draw out whatever's in there.

Otherwise, especially the picture on the right with the white powdery look around it, looks like it could be the start of dry pox. Here's an article a member wrote about it that might help. POX

Here's another POX article that describes the white lesions as a sign of it.

I hope your chicken gets over it whatever it is!
Yes, it is only that one spot. The white area around it is actually transparent and hard like keratin. The light just makes it look white. I read the article you recommended. I just don't think it is pox though, from what I've seen on pox. It is just the strangest thing. I thought he had a piece of corn stuck to his wattle when I first saw it.

Yes, it is only that one spot. The white area around it is actually transparent and hard like keratin. The light just makes it look white. I read the article you recommended. I just don't think it is pox though, from what I've seen on pox. It is just the strangest thing. I thought he had a piece of corn stuck to his wattle when I first saw it.
If just one, then I too would doubt pox, but I'd sure keep an eye out! If it's a wound of some type, it'll eventually just fade away.

How old is this chicken? Chickens can get skin cancer like people do. That's a possibility.

Do you have plants growing in the area that have short, tiny, spines? I'm thinking of some varieties of cactus with spines so short and fine they are barely visible. If a chicken brushes against these hair-like spines, they can easily be dislodged and embed in the tissue of the wattle. Then an immune response gets going and tissue builds around the foreign body, attempting to eject it.

You could use a warm compress on the lesion, soften it and see if that "horn" lifts out. Use a tweezers to wiggle it back and forth and see if it loosens and try gently pulling it. If you do have cactus where the chickens roam, I would definitely try this.

How old is this chicken? Chickens can get skin cancer like people do. That's a possibility.

Do you have plants growing in the area that have short, tiny, spines? I'm thinking of some varieties of cactus with spines so short and fine they are barely visible. If a chicken brushes against these hair-like spines, they can easily be dislodged and embed in the tissue of the wattle. Then an immune response gets going and tissue builds around the foreign body, attempting to eject it.

You could use a warm compress on the lesion, soften it and see if that "horn" lifts out. Use a tweezers to wiggle it back and forth and see if it loosens and try gently pulling it. If you do have cactus where the chickens roam, I would definitely try this.
He will be six in February. There are no cacti in the area. It won't come off and seems to be rooted. He expresses discomfort if I try to remove it. I will try applying something to soften it.

Back
Top Bottom