Weird molting schedule this year

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
My chickens have always molted in fall and early winter. An occasional winter molt, but only once or twice. This year I had 3 hens only molt half their feathers this fall and they're now molting the second half. 2 other hens didn't molt last fall and are now in a full molt. The only hen with an excuse was the one that got vent gleet and it took 4 rounds of treatment to finally take care of it. Anyone have this weird half molt happen, or spring molt? Not worried, just curious.

My chickens have always molted in fall and early winter. An occasional winter molt, but only once or twice. This year I had 3 hens only molt half their feathers this fall and they're now molting the second half. 2 other hens didn't molt last fall and are now in a full molt. The only hen with an excuse was the one that got vent gleet and it took 4 rounds of treatment to finally take care of it. Anyone have this weird half molt happen, or spring molt? Not worried, just curious.
No, but some of my birds molt twice a year. Once in Spring/Summer, & Fall/Winter.

Back
Top Bottom