Weird (or maybe not so weird) chicken behavior

Magda12

Songster
May 25, 2022
Southwestern Pennsylvania
I have 10 color eggs layers, all bought together a year ago in April. One of my EEs hens has done something weird twice now, that I have witnessed. She stands really still with her back hunched and tail down. She acts like she's uncomfortable or in pain or something. You can see the feathers on her back end moving like she's contracting to lay an egg. Last time I just left her go and it cleared up.

This time, I went to check on them after church around 8 and she was outside the coop (door closes at 6:30 ish). She was kinda huddled up underneath it by herself. Not sure if she's ever done this before because I don't always check that they all went in. But I have never seen any of them outside after the door closes when I have looked.

I brought her in. I didn't feel anything in her abdomen region, but I am also a newbie and didn't want to break an egg if there was one. She did squat for me. Her crop felt normal to me (again, newbie) like it always does, firm but not gigantic and hard. She did have some poo on her rear feathers but her vent was clean and looked normal (I think) - pale, nickel sized, closed and nothing hanging out of it or anything. Her comb is bright red.

I gave her an Epsom salt soak, cleaned the poo off her feathers and gave her some water with added trace minerals (she drank probably 4-6 oz). I tried to give her a calcium tablet but she resisted really hard and I was trying not to squeeze her. I thought I got it in, but turns out I dropped the darn thing and didn't find it until after I had already put her back in the cat carrier, so I broke it up and put it in the water I left in there with her. I am going to keep her in the house tonight and see how she is in the morning.

Any ideas on what could be up with her and what I can try? At the end of the day, as much as I like the little buggers, we have them for egg laying and not (primarily) as pets, so I don't want to involve a vet, but I also want to do everything I can to help her and make sure she's not suffering or anything.

By the way, none of this is easy but it's worse when your husband is an absolute OCD germaphobe. You'd never know he spent summers on a freaking farm growing up 🤣

I would try to pop that calcium with d3 tablet into her beak when you can. Sometimes it is easier when they are sleeping on the roost in the dark. Fill of her crop early in the morning to see if it has emptied. She could be egg bound or could be suffering from a reproductive issue.

I would try to pop that calcium with d3 tablet into her beak when you can. Sometimes it is easier when they are sleeping on the roost in the dark. Fill of her crop early in the morning to see if it has emptied. She could be egg bound or could be suffering from a reproductive issue.
Checked her this morning, there is definitely some weird bloody tissue in the crate. Looks like she did poop, but not a lot. I am trying to get a picture but I need to charge my phone. No idea what to do, could it be some sort of illness rather than a physical problem?

Can you try and post a picture of the bloody object. If it is a weird egg, it might be something that is just a one off thing. But lash eggs from salpingitis are common, and those may be cut open to show the insides.

Last edited:
Cannyou try and post a picture of the bloody object. If it is a weird egg, it might be something that is just a one off thing. But lash eggs from salpingitis are common, and those may be cut open to show the insides.
Attached. She passed some kind of mass, it was stuck to her foot when I let her out, then she immediately passed a liquid stool with bits of undigested food.

I did some online vet thing, and he said it's either infection or impacted crop. I have never really had to compare crops, but I felt hers and felt another chicken's this morning. Other chicken was soft as mush and hers was hard, but not super big. Is it worth treating her as if she has an impacted crop?

Attachments

• IMG_20230301_082211.jpg
    IMG_20230301_082211.jpg
    942.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230301_082159.jpg
    IMG_20230301_082159.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20230301_072805_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230301_072805_HDR.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 4
Oh, btw, I did get the calcium pill into her. Should I keep doing that and if so, how much/often? When I went out to check her crop, she was acting OK, but a little slow (all the others came running and she kind of waddled her way over), her tail was up though.

The red thing could be from her reproductive tract, or possibly from her intestines. I would check the crop again early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything. If it was full and hard this morning before eating, she might have an early impacted crop. Many people use a tsp of chilled coconut oil chopped into slivers and offered to peck, once or twice a day to help break up an impaction. Crop massage several times a day may also help. Here is a good article on crops:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The red thing could be from her reproductive tract, or possibly from her intestines. I would check the crop again early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything. If it was full and hard this morning before eating, she might have an early impacted crop. Many people use a tsp of chilled coconut oil chopped into slivers and offered to peck, once or twice a day to help break up an impaction. Crop massage several times a day may also help. Here is a good article on crops:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
So when I went out at around noon, I grabbed her and really felt her crop. It felt like one of those gel-filled squishy balls with little pellets inside. It wasn't hard at all. Not sure if I just wasn't getting a good feel earlier or what. She's looking ok, she was acting normal, again, a little slower but her tail's up. I gave her some coconut oil and papaya enzymes. Thanks so much for your help so far! I will keep an eye on her and see what happens. If she goes into the coop tonight by herself, I will feel much better.

Back
Top Bottom